1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get some advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gillean, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Gillean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So late last night I was here on EC when my Mom barged in to my room. She got pretty angry at me for being on my iPad so late. I managed to hit the home button before she took it from me. A couple of minutes later, she came in and said she was sorry, and asked to lay with me. She doesn't usually do that. Anyway, this morning, when I got it back, the window was closed and private browsing had been turned off. My question is, what should I do?! I'm NOT ready to come out to her, but it's clear she saw that I was on EC.
    :help:

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I would suggest that you wait for a little while and see if she says anything. If she does mention it, I would seriously vote against lying, as that would only make the situation worse at this point.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who says you have to DO anything?

There are two ways of thinking about this...and I'll be honest I'm not sure which is more helpful or healthy...

1. You can let it be. So what if she saw it? Lets see what she does differently. Take our time to decide how she's taken the news. Is she distant now? Is she trying to encourage you to talk to her or acting really approachable all of a sudden? Is she suddenly using a lot of homophobic slurs in casual speech? Use the opportunity to see what effect it's had on her. Come out when you're ready.

2. You are fairly certain she saw it (and let's be honest, so am I at this point). So at this point, I'm worrying that she's going to say something about it. My mum used to drop little 'so...how are you?'s into conversation to try and get us to talk about things she thought she knew. I didn't want to have to come out on HER terms, when SHE was ready for it and I wasn't. I spent a while deciding if I could tell her, and then went and did it. Fucking failure. She was completely shit when I told her about my sexuality. But it was done and I didn't have to worry about when it might come up again.

Either of those are theoretically OK, and I did both. The second option I was forced into because I was convinced mum had found some...toys...in my room and I didn't want to be asked about it.

Out of interest, is there any particular reason you don't feel ready to come out to her yet?

4. Gillean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmmm. Thanks. I think I'll just avoid the topic. If she asked me about it, I would be honest. I'm not sure why I don't feel ready to come out. My parents are LGBT friendly.

5. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    About a year ago when i was starting to come out, one friend wrote me an email asking if i liked girls as i didn't show much excitement about the guy i was going out with. i answered "yes i think so. either i can't hide it anymore or you have a very good gaydar". as it had been a while i didn't see her.
    so, after a couple weeks i got myself a new notebook and gave the old one to my mom, but i forgot to log off my email. what i found out later was that she forwarded that long sequence of emails to her email!!! i don't know if she understood it but she was pretty mad at me at that time for other things she might have read.

the point is that i didn't feel like i had to tell her, cause she invaded my privacy doing that. i think that as your parents support lgbt they won't force you to come out. if you feel like, do it. if not, you don't need to. it's your life and you decide if you feel comfortable with it or not :slight_smile:

6. Gillean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people