1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start the conversation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlueAndWhite, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm planning on coming out to my parents this weekend, but I'm not sure how to start the conversation with them. Any words of advice/ wisdom would be appreciated.

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, I'd say don't make it sound like a big deal. Don't just say "Mom, Dad, I've got something to tell you." They'll take that the wrong way and probably start to worry about what you're going to tell them. If you've got a crush on someone, you could always start by asking to hang out with him and then mention that you really like him and want to be more than friends. Or you could always just bring home a boyfriend and let them find out that way (kidding...unless you think that'll work).

If you're worried about how they'd take it, you could always gauge their reactions to something. You could, for instance, "accidentally" leave your Internet browser open to this (or any LGBT+) site where they can see it, and gauge their reactions to seeing what you're doing. If they ask you about it, you can come out then. If they don't ask you, just mention that you're on an LGBT+ forum and you really like it here. They'll probably say something then, because you brought it up, and then you can tell them.

3. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always liked the idea of leaving a letter to start the conversation, but remaining in the house to continue it once they've read it.