1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was your First? (to come out to)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EdmondDantes, Feb 21, 2014.

1. EdmondDantes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am curious how everyone decided to approach their first person with being who they are. What was it about this person that made you want to tell them first?

2. Smoochies

Smoochies Guest

At first I came out to my best friend and she is the only one at the moment. My conversation is good with her, we always make ourselves laugh.She always thinks my goodness. She is a trustworthy person.

3. XTREMEZish

my best friend who is a dude was the first to know. I trusted him

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Myself. After, my mom and then my family.

5. ornoir29

One of my flat-mates. Chose her because she's one of the most open-minded people I know, and because at the time we were close but not too much. I was still afraid of rejection back then (...), so I thought that a possible rejection wouldn't hurt too much.

6. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to a female friend when I was still confused. She was the only person I felt comfortable talking to because I knew she'd been through the exact same things I had and I figured she'd know how to handle it.

7. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only came out to one friend and it was over the phone a little over a month ago. I wanted to tell her in person but we live at separate colleges several hours away. I was going to tell her over the winter break, but we never had any moments when we were alone together.

Anyway, I was really depressed that day and needed to talk to someone and she was the only friend that I was 100% sure she would be accepting. So I called her on my phone and even though I knew she would take it well, I was extremely nervous and shaking. I had never told anyone before and the whole experience was kind of surreal. She was very supportive and encouraging when I told her and it made my day so much better.

In fact, she may actually be my best friend at the moment because she's the only one I can completely trust.

8. Shermanator

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I told my best friend. It didn't really phase him at all until he realized I was crying, then he told me he loved me and gave me a huge hug. Definitely makes the process a lot easier when you have friends who are so amazing.

9. GemmaK

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out first to my two best friends. It was by text, mainly because I just physically couldn't say it in front of them. I told them first because they're the people I trust most and I knew that they didn't have an issue with gay-ness in general, so I thought it would be alright for them to know. I was worried a bit that they'd feel awkward around me, but the next day I saw them and we were easily laughing and joking as normal and nothing had changed. They were great about the whole thing and reassured me loads, and we've only gotten closer since. :slight_smile:

10. lovely lesbian

I told my friend I knew she would be supportive which she was and I knew I could trust her not to tell anyone else until I was ready

11. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The first person to know is one of my closest friends that suspected and asked me about it. If you don't count that as me willingly telling a person, then my first would be telling another one of my closest friends, right before a band practice. Took me a solid 30 minutes before I can utter the entire sentence out.

12. magic

The first person i told was my best friend.

13. Gillean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my best friends. I told her cause she's really open minded, and she was really supportive. She flipped out when I told her my crush.

14. LongMayIReign

My best friend

15. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

My girlfriend, because she had came out to me...and it was good timing.

16. Oxelotl

My first (and only, ignoring the internet) person I came out too was one of my friends (not best friends, just good friends). I knew that she was a strong supporter of homosexuals and I figured out of everyone I know, who is either homophobic or I'm not sure, I thought she was a good person. So I just sent her a really long message on Facebook. And then she didn't see it for 3 days which made me more nervous.

17. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    My friend, we were at the school bus stop and everyone else hadn't come yet, figured it would be the easiest way to start (especially because he is a regular watcher of Game Theory, bringing up the Digit Ratio Theory was easy) and I suspected he was a closet bi. He was.

18. deadmau5ftw

my best girl friend. I told her first since she is an artist and she draws lesbians making out even though she is straight. Based off of that, I knew she would be supportive!

19. XRay

One of my best friends because I know for sure she supports the lgbt community

20. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first boyfriend back in Middle School. He came on to me and I didn't refuse...