1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close friend isn't "Okay" with it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LongMayIReign, Feb 21, 2014.

1. LongMayIReign

Last night my closest guy friend and I said we'd tell each other our crushes tomorrow (today). I was doing trig homework a minute ago and he texts me and starts guessing all the guys in our grade. Finally he says "You like other girls" to which I say yes and tell him who I like. At first he seems okay with it and is basically just asking me who I've told and stuff like that. Then It seemed like our conversation was ending and he goes "One last thing ... I'm not okay with this but I won't tell anyone" and then stopped texting me. I'm freaking out. I trust him not to tell (I know his greatest secret so if he tells I tell) but it upsets me that he's not okay with this. I knew he was religious and all but I didn't think much of it. I'm scared. He is one of my closest friends but now I feel like our relationship is going to dance around this topic. And the thing is he's my neighbor and his older brother I'm super close to (and he's best friends with my sister) and our parents are best friends so I can't just tell him off can I? He didn't even say why he wasn't okay with it.

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just because he's not okay with one aspect of your life doesn't mean that you have to stop being friends. I wouldn't ignore him, but maybe you could sit down with him and try to find out why he's not okay with it. A lot of the time it's because that person has always been raised to dislike gays, and they don't know any different. Sometimes you just have to show them that, hey, we're not weird or anything, we're not dangerous, and we're not going to "corrupt" you.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dancing around the subject is up to you really. From the sound of things, he would rather not even acknowledge it than make a thing of it.

I mean really, it depends what you want out of this. If you ignore it, you are either going to have to try really hard and pretend it doesn't bother you, and it's not going to be the same. But you would still (theoretically) be friends like you were. On the other hand you could bring it up. Ask him about it and try and get him to be OK with it. It might go well, in which case great, but it might end up with you losing a close friend.

Realistically either option kind of sucks, but personally I would want to talk about it, but then I'm wicked stubborn!

4. setnyx

i think you can guess why, religion has ALOT to say on that subject. if he is your friend he will realise you're the same person you always were & accept you for you. he doesn't need to be ok with your sexuality to remain your friend. good luck.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying that he definitely will but give him some time. When he realises you are still the same person he might become more used to it. It may have come as a shock to him.

6. softball

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe try to give it time. It seems like even if he is not OK with one thing about you, he doesn't want it to get in the way of your friendship. If you want to talk to him about it, then that is up to you. Although, if you give it some time, he may talk to you about it himself. He was probably just surprised. Good luck.