1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

religion and homosexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kp1832, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kp1832

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watched For The Bible Tells Me So last night, and it really got me thinking about my own struggle between faith and sexuality. Rather than try to work out the conflict between inclinations towards homosexuality and inclinations towards a homophobic religion, I decided to just reject my faith altogether. Rather than face whatever heat I may get from church friends or family, I decided that removing myself from Christianity would somehow make me feel better about myself.

While I do feel like I'm reaching a healthier view of my sexuality, I also feel like any bits of faith I have are few and far between. After all I went through as a young teenager, I guess I just can't stomach the idea of there being a merciful God who actually loves me as I am. If there are so many people who can hate and reject me in His name, then I want nothing to do with Him.

After watching the documentary last night, though, I really felt like there is some hope for me to find my faith again and still remain a happy gay man.

What is everyone else's experiences with faith? How much did your sexuality hurt or help it?

2. Malchik89

I know exactly how you were feeling, i mean like i had my rejections towards god, but those were for other reasons. But yeah i justified my theory that there is indeed no god by thinking, how could the one true symbol of love and compassion want us to not exist.

However thats when i actually started to pay attention and observe behaviors and the fact that its not the bible that spreads the word of homophobia, its the zealots who read it and interpret it that way. So though it says it leviticus that homosexuality is an abomination, thats just an extreme way of saying that its outside of the traditions of christianity, which is indeed very true.

So now here i stand with agnostic views and the beliefs that if I'm myself and like who i am. Ill get through life fine.

3. pirateninja

Although I haven't been raised in a very religious family, I did have some sort of religion. My mom went to church occasionally and I helped out a lot at that church. I also have a Christian grandmother and a Catholic aunt.

While I am not extremely religious, I do think there is a higher power, and I did worry "What if the Bible is right?". Thankfully, with documentaries such as "FTBTMS" and such websites as http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.com and http://www.godmademegay.com I am now certain that even if Christianity is right, I will not go to hell for being gay, and I'm glad it has had that effect on you as well. I recommend the above websites for further research.

Just remember some vital points;

People mistake what the bible READS with what the bible SAYS. The bible SAYS nothing, everyone can have a personal interpretation to almost any passage.

The bible was not written by God, it was written by men. It is a well known fact that humans make mistakes, so it can be assumed that some parts of the bible could be wrong, or that they were based on the humans own views.

There are 6 admonishments to homosexuals, and over 200 admonishments to heterosexuals. As much as some Christians may exaggerate on just how much of a sin being gay is, there is plenty more than just "thou shalt not be gay" in the Good Book".

Right by the infamous Leviticus line, there are also commandments aboot not shaving, not wearing clothes of different fabrics, not eating shrimp, etc. Not all the words in the bible are taken word for word now.

If God loves us so much, and sent his only son to die for us, it seems highly unlikely to make someone a certain way only to know that it will doom them to hell. It just doesn't make sense.

There are plenty of Homosexual Christians, very happy with both their sexuality and their religion. And I'm glad to hear that you can be too. :grin:

4. skyoverland

I am a catholic. I always had the idea that homosexuality was blasphemy. Not until I watched that video and started researching the causes, theories about homosexuality did I really become acceptant of it. I think that like with most areas in which we are unaware of ourselves, we question to a point where we think we are safe. I would tell myself "Perhaps I like both" then I would not be condemned to hell. This video opened my eyes that the bible was written by man and that it was written in accordance of the period of that age where the goals were for more people, a stronger family unit. Now, in this age it is more of finding yourself, your own individual and by accepting that, I can now move on in my sexuality aspects.

5. Arrk

I'm Catholic and I've been raised my entire life to accepting everything as normal, including homosexuality. I've been going to a Catholic school since Kindergarten and I've been incessantly taught that every one was raised imago dei- that we are what God wanted us to be.

You can't take the Bible literally, perhaps those passages in Leviticus perhaps meant to not sleep with another man, unfaithfully- I mean who knows? I've read the Bible, cover to cover dozens of times and it's very vague at times, and others it contradicts itself.

I haven't had problems accepting my sexuality in accordance with my religion; but that's probably only because I was raised in a liberal area where most conservatives are truly hated. I believe people are born with their sexuality and I don't think God can strike that down.

At any rate, however you look at it- Jesus had two daddies. :]

6. I suppose, i don't really know what to think or say on this subject, i was never raised in a religious family unit, my grandma is extremely religious, but my mum always felt that it was my choice to choose my faith when i had the ability to. I think that LGBT people shouldn't feel any regret or any bad feelings about being gay, i suppose i believe that in the end, you are the person that you were always meant to be.

If there wasn't meant to be homosexuals in the world, then we wouldn't have been born, or thats my opinion anyhoo.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh............I love it! :roflmao:

8. Quitex

Quitex Guest

It is basically on limbo.
    I think I am known for being very.... closed minded regarding faith and religion, so let me loosen up a little.
    I respect your choice to resign to your faith, however I do not agree with it. Now, I cant say that my emotional dilemma between my sexuality and my religion is solved... it is more on limbo right now... However, in my honest opinion, I'd prefer to live in celibacy than to give up my beliefs. I knew I aw Christian Catholic before knowing I was... *am* gay.

9. nickmc

It's definitely a tricky issue and it makes me sad to read that you seem to be rejecting your faith. Personally, I'm Anglican and I have been going through a similar struggle of trying to reconcile my religion with my sexuality. Although I am still looking into resources and things, personally, I believe that God made us to be just as He wants us to be and loves us for whoever we are. I believe that He made me gay for a reason (perhaps to show my strength when faced by opposition by my church/ Christian friends) and that if God made me this way, then I am actually offending God by saying that I am not perfect or wanting to change a part of me.

I've had to face one of my Christian friends recently when after I came out to her, she starting trying to "change" me so that I wouldn't go to Hell, and I've found that this experience has actually made my faith stronger. I am strong in my beliefs and even though I am still sorta researching things, I believe that everything is in His master plan and the reasons behind what He does, will be revealed to me in time.

So I hope that just because you are gay, that you don't just forget all the amazing things that God has done for you and that you don't just throw all that away. (*hug*)

Feel free to PM if you want to talk more

Nick

10. sevengoblin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I used to think homosexuality was bad, and God would punish me if I didn't change. But from what I've read, it seems the whole gay is evil is just some people don't like homosexuality. So they use the Bible to try and get people to think that way as well. Also I think if God didn't want us to be gay, he would have made it possible to change. Yet I hear of so many people failing to change.

Now though I am confident anyone can be Christian and gay. Although I don't know if I want to be a Christian again.

11. blpate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I struggle, we all struggle. I just came out to my sister and she was totally accepting. We have been talking and she asked if I considered myself a christian. I didn't know what to say, I'm not sure. I said to her that its hard for me to believe in a faith that doesn't believe in me. Then she said that all sins are equal my sins and her sins. At first I didn't catch the implications of what she said, in her defense I don't think she did either. I don't feel like a sinner, god, for the first time in my life I feel like I am being honest, not lying. What a paradox, by lying about who I was for my whole life i was a 'sinner' and when I finally tell the truth, according to the zealots, I'm still sinning. Interesting huh? I definitely have believe in a higher power but I'm still trying to find faith in god.