1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my parents or risk them finding out from someone else?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GemmaK, Feb 22, 2014.

1. GemmaK

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm 17 and still living with them and relying on them financially and everything, but I'm very sure that despite their hompohobia, they wouldn't kick me out or do anything too drastic. They will likely just make subtle passive aggressive comments and/or ignore me until I leave home for Uni in a year and a half.
    They is very little chance of acceptance from them, and for all the years I've tried to get them to think more about their discimination, they haven't budged at all. It's a shame and it still hurts that they won't love me the same when they find out, but I'm trying to sort my life out for myself right now and I feel like I need to be more open about myself. So, after trying to keep them happy for years by keeping secrets, I've decided to be more selfish and do things for myself. Now is a pretty good time for me, as I've started tretment for depression and I'm out to a number of friends and so I have a pretty solid support system and I feel like now is a good enough time as any.
    But I'm hesitant because I've seen so many advice posts about how people in my situation should just wait until we move out or something. Plus, I'm hugely awkward when talking about anything personal (even with/especially with my family - as I've never had a close relationship with them), so the idea of having to sit down and seriously talk to them is terrifying!
    The issue is that since an increasing number of friends around college know now, and they obviously aren't treating it as a secret, I'm afraid that my parents might find out from someone else as my parents have contact with a bunch of parents of people at the same college as me, who could(/would) easily tell them. Whilst this option appeals to me in that I wouldn't have to actually tell them myself, I don't know whether finding out from someone who isn't me would make the situation better or worse?
    Any advice would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My therapist told me once that the easiest way to get rid of the nagging fear that my parents would discover something was to tell them about it. That way, I'm not sitting there waiting for mum to come in and start asking questions or being horrible about things, because I've took the power to do that away from her. I've gone to her and made it clear that this is a thing that has happened and I'm not ashamed of it.

If it were me, I would want them to hear it from me in one way or another rather than from somebody else. I had this scenario going round in my head before I came out:

I went out dressed with my friends. They went in to a charity shop I volunteer at, I stayed outside. A guy I work with saw me and asked them if it was me, and without thinking, one of them said yes.

That man lives next door to my grandma (mums mum). So now I'm thinking that he knows and speaks to my grandma, and it's fairly well known my grandma and I are related because are town isn't that big. So what if he tells grandma? What if grandma tells mum?

Then I'm thinking that they will both be sitting there telling themselves it couldn't POSSIBLY be true because they wouldn't do that. That must be a lie or a mistake and basically spending time convincing themselves it wasn't real. Then when I eventually told them or they dragged it out of me, they would have spent ages preparing themselves to shoot it down. I wouldn't want them to have to opportunity to prepare a negative defence against it, it was hard enough when it was a suprise!

Sorry, rambled a bit. As for waiting...if you don't think they will do anything apart from be a bit bitchy and pretend it didn't happen then whether you wait or not is up to you. It's when you know your parents will throw you out or put you in gay-away camp or try to exorcise you or something you want to wait until you can leave.

3. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ellia's advice is sound. You lose all power in the conversation if you wait for someone else to tell them. Your parents may then approach you with hostility and demand answers rather than you approaching them asking for acceptance. You also may be surprised - they may have an easier time accepting you than you think especially since you've spent so much time trying to change their beliefs.

If you they react poorly do you have a local support system you can turn to even if just for emotional support?

4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The previous replies say it all. Tell them yourself, because if you don't, it opens the door for hostility, denial, and unpleasant confrontations.

5. GemmaK

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks to you all for your advice. I think you're right in saying that I should tell them myself rather than let them find out from other people, if only because I can't let them hold the power in the inevitable conversation.
    I have considered that maybe they won't react as negatively as I suspect they will, but after discussing it a fair amount with friends who know my parents, it seems that that might be just wishful thinking. My friends have been lovely, but they've always told me to go into this cautiously, as they're all pretty sure that the parent reaction will be unpleasant.
    Despite this, I think I will tell them soon. I want to, and I've thought lots about what to say but I can't seem to make myself say it. It never seems the right time, and whilst I know that there likely won't ever be a 'right time', I don't want to say it at the wrong time. I guess I'm just really scared. :/
    When/how should I tell them? Any more help would be lovely. :slight_smile:

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How, could be as simple as just the words "I'm gay" either vocally or on paper. That really is down to whatever feels most comfortable for you.

As for when...debatable. But if it's really worrying you then sooner is better. As for finding the 'right time' just...I guess as long as they aren't in the middle of some sort of crisis or in a really bad mood, then any time could be the right time.

The thing is, you don't want to make a big thing about it. Realistically, it's not like your next move is to go out and organise a lesbian orgy in your living room or go get yourself painted like a rainbow and headbutt a bunch of homophobes, you're just able to date if you want to without worrying that they will find out. Don't make it bigger than it needs to be. :slight_smile:

7. GemmaK

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is exactly my issue with the whole thing, if I'm honest.
    "The thing is, you don't want to make a big thing about it."
    I really don't like the idea of 'coming out' in general, because to me it seems odd to have to make it a thing and actually tell people in serious conversations that I'm really way too awkward to get right. :/
    But it's just that I know I pretty much have to let them know at some point, or else they'll keep on and on and on about how I should have a boyfriend right now, and how all the kids my age that they know have boyfriends. Mum gets really obsessive about things like this and she's constantly asking about my type and if any lads fancy me, and talking about what she thinks my future husband will be like etc, and I'd just rather shut down those ideas sooner rather than later, because it gets really awkwad for me. :/ I actually think she must have some idea, because no parent would be that into getting their daughter to go out with guys (to the point of actually encouraging me to sleep with guys I'm friends with and telling me that if I got pregnant she wouldn't mind), so I think she's maybe in denial about it?
    I'm just really confused and feel like it would be easier in the long run to just tell them now. :/

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree you should tell them. If you find talking to people difficult then there is always the option of a letter. You can either read the letter to them, sit there whilst they read it or leave it for them to read whilst you are away. The advantages of the letter are it lets you say exactly what you want to say uninterrupted and without the pressure of trying to string the words together in the heat of the moment. You can write and rewrite the letter until you are happy with it.
    You are right there will never be a right time, so sometimes you just need 5 minutes of bravery to just go for it.
    You never know your parents might surprise you. My advice would be to pick your time, tell one of your friends what you are doing and perhaps plan to meet them afterwards or have them on standby so that if you need support and to go for a coffee afterwards they are there and waiting.