1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my mom still wont talk to me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mikey1345, Feb 22, 2014.

1. mikey1345

mikey1345 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    About a month ago I came out to my mom. I had already come out to my dad and brothers and they were all supportive. Then I came out to my mom, it didnt go well at all. That was a month ago and she barely interacts with me. If were having supper she'll talk to me to like pass the pepper or something like that, but thats it. When I try to talk to her she gives me short responses and never says more than necessary. This really hurts, especially because I see how she is with my brothers and thats how she used to be with me.

My dad is still the same and is always apologizing for her behaviour. Since all this happened my dad has been sleeping in the guest room and I hear them arguing all the time :-(

I wish I had just kept mu mouth shut and never told her.

2. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry. (*hug*) We can hope that your Mom will come around. At least you still have your Dad. I know that, that is not much comfort. All I can say is that I'm sorry.

3. Mzansi

You did nothing wrong my friend,
    And you're father is simply doing what he must,
    Which is defending his son.

Your mother needs to be the one to get over it!

4. setnyx

i feel for you, a month isn't such a long time, think of how long it took to come out to her. i wish my mom had given me the silent treatment LOL at least about that. when i did get the treatment i gave it right back,it let them know how hurtful it can be.

5. huggy

huggy Guest

i might sound wrong but if i were you i would go and confront my mom and i'd say,"why are you avoiding me mom? because i'm gay? its like saying you wanted a boy but unfortunately you gave birth to a girl. i know you don't want me to be gay, i don't want me to be gay either but i AM so we both HAVE TO accept it, there's no cure ok and why should there be?its not a disease. the important thing is, whatever my sexual orientation is i will still be your kid and you still my mother and i'll still love you as i used to but MAYBE i'll love you even more if you support me. i made it clear from my side mom, i want you to love me".

6. mikey1345

mikey1345 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Huggy, believe me I have thought about that! I've run through what I would say to her in my mind a million times, it's just everytime I do I get way too emotional and I dont want to when she's there. My older brother had tried asking her why she is so awful to me but she just tells him it's none of his business. I just don't get it. I just want her to accept and love me.

7. huggy

huggy Guest

if you get too emotional whats the problem in it? let it flow, i'm sure she will feel SOMETHING deep inside and maybe then give you a hug? but you know what, i would actually say those things i've written above and if she still doesn't show any change in her behavior i'll avoid her like anything(don't do it ok but thats what 'I' would do). because i HAVE the right but she DOESN'T have the right....to act immature!!

8. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's so awful. Hang in there; hopefully she will come around with a bit more time. I'm relieved that the rest of your family is on your side. :frowning2:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mikey, I'm really sorry for what you're having to deal with. Remember that any time anyone processes a loss (in this case, loss of perception that you're straight), there are stages of processing that loss: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. They aren't sequential, and some people take minutes to go through them, while others take months.

In your case, it sounds like your mom is still in the "anger" phase, and that isn't uncommon. It isn't pleasant, it isn't right, and it certainly isn't what you deserve as her son, but that's what's going on. And clearly your dad feels the same way, which is why he's arguing with your mother.

What I can tell you is that, based on working with lots of other people, it will almost certainly eventually pass, and when it does, she'll be just as loving and supportive as she was before. It just takes each person a different amount of time to come to terms with the loss.

10. mikey1345

mikey1345 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Chip, I hope you're right! Because before all of this she was awesome! I just want that mum back and Huggy, what's the problem with getting emotional? I got quite emotional when I came out to her in the first place. .. she didn't respond by giving me a hug, she said"what are you crying about? Just because you're gay doesn't mean you have to act like a fag"so I dont really wanna open my self up that again.

11. huggy

huggy Guest

ok sorry mikey i didn't know that. but yeah things might get normal, better late than never.
    bytheway on the bright side, YOU HAVE US YAY!!

12. mikey1345

mikey1345 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Huggy, she said a lot of really hurtful things when I first told her! I guess I should be thankful, at least when she's not talking to me she isn't saying anything hurtful. I'm gonna try to work up the balls to go ask her but we'll see what happens I guess.

13. Lilli

Lilli Guest

I'm so sorry :frowning2:

(*hug*)

14. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Try to get your dad to talk to her. Maybe she'll listen to your dad but not you because you're gay and he isn't. If anyone can talk some sense into her head it would be her husband.

15. Clay

I'm sorry to hear that. Your coming out story has always stuck with me, I honestly wish I could just give you a hug.

As for your mum, it doesn't sound like it's worth trying to build a relationship with her. At least you have your dad and your brothers.

16. mikey1345

mikey1345 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I took your guys ' advice. Last night I decided to talk to my mom! I asked my dad to be there, not too say anything but just to be there. We all went into the living room and it went like this: (well something like this)
    Me: ever since I came out you seem to be avoing me?
    Mom: yes.
    Me:why?
    Mom: because I dont know if im ever going to get used to the idea of having a gay son
    Me: are you disappointed in me?
    Mom: yes, I wish you could just be like your brothers, like women and not embarrass the family.
    Me: I embarrass you?
    Mom: honestly, yes. It's an embarrassment for me to tell people I have a gay son.
    Me: I'm sorry... (trying ready hard to keep it together at this point, it really hurts to be called an embarrassment by your mother)
    ... an awkward silence
    Me: do you still love me?
    Mom:...yes. ..
    Me: okay, well...
    Mom: I do love you, But I dont know if I'll ever get over you being gay. Or if I'll ever accept it.
    Me: well we ever be able to be the way we used to be?
    Mom: no, honestly I dont think I'll ever be able to look at you the same way again.
    Me: well I guess there isn't really much left for us to talk about.
    And I left to go up stairs!
    Surprisingly I was able to keep it together, although when everything was done I looked over at my dad and he was crying (not sobbing or anything, But definately a lot of tears) I've never seen him cry before :-(

To be honest I'm not really sure where to go from here. ..

17. Beantown

Beantown Guest

At least she still loves you? She'll probably get use to the idea with some time I guess unless she's like my parents.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For many people, embarrassment is truly a fate worse than death. It is very hard to overcome because it is intimately linked with shame. She is conscious of one thing, almost to the exclusion of everything else: what will others think?

The phrase "coming to terms" means dealing (making a deal) with things that can't be changed, she will never make a deal with you if you show any signs of uncertainty about who you are. So even though it may be tempting to give an inch, she will turn that into a mile.

Let her grieve, she needs to take the time to work through how she feels. This is no guarantee however that she will ever come to terms, so if it comes to that, you yourself may need to accept that. You can't wait for her approval in order to live your life. You need to be who you are as of right now, and that includes relationships.

19. Clay

Like I said, it doesn't sound like it's worth trying to build a relationship with her. You've done nothing wrong.

If I were you I wouldn't let her bother you, nor would I hold onto the hope that she'll come around, if one side isn't interested in building a relationship then it's just not possible to.

20. Skov