1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Mixed Messages From Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ClydeThePanda, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ClydeThePanda

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello everyone, I am bisexual but not openly in fact I'm only out to a few friends, they are all very accepting.And I am contemplating coming out to my family. At first I believed that they were very open to gays, they all have gay friends, but lately I've heard some homophobic remarks which are making me think twice.
    First of all one night we were all sitting down together watching tv, ya know like families do and the show we were watching happened to star a gay male couple when they appeared on the show they'd make me leave because they didn't want me to get "corrupted" by that lifestyle they also referred to them as faggots, which INFURIATED me I hate that word.Anyway they also have kept me away from some of my friends because they suspect that they are gay even though they are totally strait but still they fear I will get "corrupted".Also I believe that if I come out they won't believe me because I don't act very effeminate and I have a girlfriend they would think I was being rebellious or just trying to get attention.What should I do?

2. Ravi-VIXX777

Disengage! I repeat! Disengage! I wouldn't come out to them yet.

If you do, explain to them that you have always had these feelings for as long as you can remember. And that you weren't 'corrupted'

3. King

If you wanted to be certain you could tell them when you are not financially reliant on them, but peoples attitudes can change on these types of issues.

Do you need to tell them? Couldn't you only tell them if you are in a relationship with a male? Or do you feel you need to get this news off your chest?

Its a tough question with no real answer, you will have to use your best judgement.

4. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if they are worrying about you getting "corrupted" then probably don't come out. They might think their efforts didn't work and you were "corrupted" despite their efforts, making the guilt process extra hard for them.

5. huggy

huggy Guest

just live your gay life as it is. don't expect them to stand beside you in this journey. let them find out eventually. but make sure that when they find out you have the speech ready that will open their eyes and make them feel bad for being so ignorant.

6. ClydeThePanda

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I have decided to wait to come out to my family because right now isnt a good time.So thanks again