1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A thought about coming out NOW!!! (on facebook)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Somelonelyguy77, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Somelonelyguy77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello again, i wanna come out to one of my best friends on facebook right now!
    What i wanna say is "Hello, Hailey (yes thats her name), i wanna to tell you something very personal about that, if it gets out my life would fall apart. This should be an honour for me to be telling you this first before any of my other friends....i like guys! If you have any questions ask me." I really want to get this out. THIS IS URGENT!!
    I WOULD LOVE SOME ADVICE:help:

2. jonnemack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems awkward to me.

Start a normal conversation first, then you try to make the subject come to this.

3. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would do it in person, through a text message or a facebook message seems wrong, especially if its your best friend. I came out to my best friend in person and dont regret it at all. :slight_smile:

4. huggy

huggy Guest

omg isn't using the name of the website against the code of conduct?lol
    anyways, facebook doesn't sound nice. you can even text her on the phone lol. what i'm trying to say is talk to her in person because then you don't have to go through that awkward moment when you meet her for the first time after the confession.

5. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the posts above. She's your best friend, right? So why do you hesitate to tell her face to face? Afraid of her rejection? Want some emotional distance between you at this moment because of fear? Not comfortable enough to really come out to her? Try to put yourself in your friend's shoes for a moment. How will she feel about being told on FB rather than face-to-face?

If you're not comfortable, you don't need to tell her now. I know that middle-schoolers sometimes refer to people as "best friends" even when the friendship is relatively new. Is that the case with you?

You said that you've already come out to 3 people. So ask yourself why your best friend is the 4th one to know rather than the 1st. If you've really been good friends for a long time, is the closeness you feel with her the reason you're hesitating? Ask yourself whether you trust her and your friendship with her.

Your situation and the situation of many of us, young and old, is one centering around fear of rejection, and learning to be openly vulnerable. It's tough, and only you will know when it's OK.

Sorry for the ramble. I tried to edit this into more coherence, but failed.
    (*hug*)