1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beginning to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blpate, Jul 11, 2008.

1. blpate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey I'm new to this. I am out to some friends, my twin and my sister. I just came out to my sister July 5. I am reading Outing Yourself and I need to talk to others who are gay. I am a college student and I am too worried about being exposed to all of the people I know in school so I am trying to find support here.

2. Malchik89

Hey first off welcome to EC, where you NEVER have to feel alone. Yeah dude i know how your feelings. Most of my friends know and only one member of my family knows and its my 14 year old niece lol But yeah I've yet to tell my parents so I'm with you there. It is a hard process and there are so many people here who are going through everything you are going through right now, and they'll do all they can to support you and help you. And yeah, consider me one of those people please xD

3. blpate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks man. When I found this site today I was so relieved. My sister really gave me the kick in the butt to start this process and just in this last week I have bought a book joined a website and really started thinking about seriously coming out. I don't know about you but it just hit me a few nights ago, I thought, 'How could being free and out be worse than depressed and on edge inside the closet.' Don't get me wrong I am no where close to being to totally out but I feel that more and more it is becoming a realistic future.

4. Malchik89

Anytime dude, yeah if you ever just want to talk, just p/m me and we can talk.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. Glad you joined. EC is a great place to ask for support and advice. As Malchik89 said, you never have to feel alone.

Congratulations on your coming out thus far. It's great that you have support around you. Being out and being truly yourself is indeed a great feeling. I am glad that you have a positive outlook on the future. This will definitely help you as you prepare yourself for coming out to others including to your parents.

You've mentioned the things that you have already accomplished and it is a lot. You should be proud of that. But also try not to lose the perspective on it and rush into things. Take your time. You've mentioned that you are worried about people you know at the college knowing about your sexual identity. It could be that there is still a part of you that is worried about how your friends or other people that you know might react or what they might say. I think this is one good reason to take it slow.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to be out to everyone you know. Only come out to friends or people that you trust and are comfortable with knowing.

In terms of talking to other gay people, (if you feel comfortable with the idea) you could try joining your college's GLBT group (if it has one), which will be able to provide you with a save and supportive environment. (Don't leave EC of course!) If you don't feel comfortable joining a GLBT group on campus, you could try joining a GLBT group or a PFLAG chapter in your community, if you haven't yet. GLBT groups/PFLAG chapters have usually social events and/or activities where you could meet and talk to other gay people.

If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me at any time.

#5 Mirko, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  6. blpate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks so much!