1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting over the awkwardness of coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anshrknt, Feb 23, 2014.

1. anshrknt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm out to my friends at university, out to only a couple at home, and I am not at all out to my family.
    I have no idea how to go about coming out to my family.
    We're Indian, and my parents retain some of those conservative Indian characteristics. Really any topic relating to sex or sexuality in general is taboo - we don't talk about ANYTHING remotely related to those topics, including the topic of girlfriends, etc. My parents are also very overprotective and I'm sure they expect me to be a good little student whose only worries in life are getting my education and finding internships. I just feel like it'd be so unbearably awkward to bring up this topic of sexuality. I know they'd be completely supportive. It'd just be SO AWKWARD. I'm already so reserved, I really don't talk to them about anything personal. I don't know. Honestly at this point in my mind I'm only coming out when I want to get married. (But that's not very realistic.)

Oh god and on top of that my extended family... in Indian families marriages and relationships are an entire family affair. It'd be impossible to hide it from them... Oh god I need to stop thinking so far ahead I always do that...

Anyway.... advice?

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell them in a letter. Something like "I know that this isn't something that you like talking about, but I really need to tell you something: I'm gay." would be a good way to start. If they just change the subject when you talk about that kind of thing in person, then a letter would probably be the best way. You can't change the subject if the subject is written down! Then, when you get a boyfriend they'll already know.

3. treespoon

I agree with the letter idea. It'll be easy for you, and your parents can talk and figure it out without facing you in an awkward position. You don't have to make it very long or very emotional if you know they'll be accepting, and you don't have to dwell too much on your sexuality. Maybe you can tell them and then move on to other things, like what you're doing recently. :slight_smile: