1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent doesn't believe in any orientation other than straight or gay? bi asexual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xRollingGirlx, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Told, but believes you can't love both, only one or the other, and that I'm just "confused" and will "realise I'm straight eventually"

SO annoying, almost as annoying as when I try to say I'm asexual and they claim "It's just a phase" "You'll change your mind" "Your cousin said she didn't want kids either and look at her now". That's also very, very annoying. And it's like sex is so important when you tell others you don't want it, the reaction is "What? HOW CAN YOU NOT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, EVERYONE does it!"

2. NobleCrown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, obviously not EVERYONE, or we wouldn't have clergy devoted to lifetime celibacy in the world. I'd be willing to bet the parent in question has no problem with that concept.

You just keep right on. If you're not interested in sex, this is not a bad thing. Sex can get complicated in a hurry.

#2 NobleCrown, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people just can't wrap their heads around the fact that just because they are one way doesn't mean you are! I used to identify as asexual, and now identify as bisexual--but still I totally get asexuality and don't understand why it's so hard for other people to get! Then again, it's hard for some people to get bisexuality too. I still have a kind of blah attitude toward sex, in that I can engage and enjoy but don't particularly have needs like my friends seem to have. I think it's just that the general public is very obsessed with splitting things into only two categories: gay/straight black/white, male/female, etc. People get uncomfortable accepting other possibilities, and I have no clue why. Just be who you are and don't apologize for it or retreat from it. Also, remember that asexuality is NATURAL occurrence in other mammals, not just humans. Same goes for bisexuality and homosexuality--it's in our biology, in our brains, in our genes--the variation is inherent and real, not something we made up. Why would we make it up? I wish the LGBT movement would come to accept asexual people as allies, since asexuals face a lot of problems that LGBT people once faced or still do face, particularly psychologists trying to "fix" what isn't broken! Good luck to you and congrats on affirming your authentic self.