1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WishingOnAStar, Feb 23, 2014.

1. WishingOnAStar

Is it better to come out in high school or middle school? I'm an 8th grader. I'm not really that popular at my school so I don't know if anyone would care or even how to spread the word... any advice? I'm ready to come out. :slight_smile: :kiss:

2. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're ready to come out, you're ready to come out. Whether you're in high school or middle school doesn't change that. If you want to have people know without telling everyone individually, you can mention to the first few friends you tell that you're okay with them sharing it, and that your sexuality doesn't have to be a secret. You might get a few questions from classmates and friends at first, but they'll stop as people get used to it and accept it.

3. AmiBee

You should come out whenever you are ready. I have the experience of teaching 8th grade for over a decade now. In those years, I've always had 2-3 students out each year. However, there were many more who I suspected would come out in high school. I live in relatively liberal New England and the out students have always seemed pretty comfortable being out. Only you can answer when it will be comfortable for you. Best of luck and hugs.

#3 AmiBee, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever you feel like coming out is the best time for you. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between high school and middle school. There was a F/F couple in my class in 7th grade, and they didn't get much hate (that I know of). In the three years I've been in high school, there's been at least two F/F couples, and I don't think they got much hate either. If you feel comfortable coming out in 8th grade, then go for it! I wish I'd had things figured out by then, or that I had the guts to come when I did know. As for how you come out in middle school, have you considered Pride jewelry? That way you don't even have to say anything; you just wear it and people can put the pieces together. That's probably what I'm going to go with when I come out. People have a tendency to notice some small things, so a simple rainbow bracelet or necklace would be something noticeable that would get the message across without you having to tell anyone directly. Or, like Elanor said, you could tell a few people and tell them that it's not private information, and, well, rumors spread like wildfires in middle school, so before too long the whole school would know about it. I hope this helps a bit, I know that middle school can be hard on people. Good luck, and congrats on being ready!

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in eighth grade too, and I'm also not very popular at school, lol. I've been wearing a rainbow bracelet for a while :newcolor:, but only my friends have noticed, so it hasn't been much help. I've been trying to come out at school but I'm not so sure how to go about telling so many people, most of them whom I'm not even friends with and don't talk to much. I'm somewhat tempted to ask this boy in my grade who's been out at school for more than a while now, how he did it, because I'm not entirely sure, but I barely even know him. >< I think a rumor spread around because he's so feminine and he just stopped denying it. Unfortunetly there's no rumor like that going around for me. There used to be, a couple years ago, but I was still questioning then, so... :eusa_doh:

Recently some boys in my grade were talking and one of them asked me if I would date one of them. I said, "No, I don't like boys like that," and they got what I meant but they only told a few people and I don't think it's spread anymore than that. >< But I would just recommend you use opportunities like that whenever they come up. Unless you're willing to stand up in front of the class and announce it, or run around yelling it out, or something like that. :lol: Maybe if you can come out, you'll encourage other closeted students to come out too. ^^ Good luck. (*hug*)

Edit: No, I don't think eighth grade is too early to come out. Whenever you're ready is fine. And I think people would care, because it makes for good gossip. ^.^

6. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    When you're ready to come out, you are ready to come out. Nothing more to it than that. Just try and make sure that a few people notice, and everybody will know before the day is over. Just remember that there will probably be a lot of gossip and rumors about you, so be careful. Those things can hurt, I should know:icon_sad:.

7. WishingOnAStar

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the good advice:slight_smile: