1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't want to be bullied

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thegay, Feb 24, 2014.

1. thegay

thegay Guest

World, Europe, United Kingdom, Britain, England
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello my name is James I'm in middle school but don't know how to come out to my parents or freinds . I have know I was gay since I was very little When I was 10 me and my friend used to snog each other in the playground, one day a girl in the grade bellow came and saw us I said tell any one and I will tell the teacher you swore she never told but now I don't know how to come out.:icon_sad: plus the last time someone came out the so called cool kids beet him up but I'm friends with them and don't act gay what should I do:help:

2. ClydeThePanda

Out Status:
    All but family
    We'll sir I have a solution DON'T COME OUT!!!!! If it'll affect your safety then it's not a good idea, maybe tell a close friend that is accepting that you can trust if you really want to get it off your chest

3. taobroin

taobroin Guest

If you don't have the support of family, friends, and your local LGBT community, and if you're in danger of being assaulted, then you should seriously consider waiting to come out. You can continue to build friendships here and on other sites and get the support you need online. If you find a friend that you feel you can really trust - you can come out to them, but that obviously comes with a risk of being outed.

4. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't come out. Coming out is a good thing, but not if it affects your safety. You need to stay safe, and if you are sure that you will, that's when you can start coming out.

5. abandonedsocks

Unfortunately, being gay or even perceived as gay is hard in school. Coming out then will have its disadvantages, particularly if you're in a community where being lgbt+ is not accepted. However, knowing that, if you're still willing to come out, you should surround yourself with friends and loved ones who do accept you. If you're worried about your safety, I suggest you keep quiet, but do not mistake this as being ashamed. You should never let other people cause you to question yourself. One thing you could do, is test the waters. Bring up the kid they beat up, bring it up to them as to why they felt the need to. Maybe say something about how you feel about them doing that, or try to get them to understand his perspective. Perhaps pretend like you don't know for sure, just to keep them off your trail. "Oh, isn't being gay like.. something you're born with? He can't help it.. what's the point of beating him up?" If they respond positively, maybe they'd understand, but if they respond negatively, you'll know where they stand.

Sometimes people don't understand being gay until someone they are close with explains it to them, and because they're close with that person, they're more willing to actually listen. But the most important thing is your safety and happiness. You know who you are, and don't let people waiver that because of their inability to accept you. Remember that school can be hard socially, but it doesn't last forever.

6. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would not advise coming out publicly in a situation where your safety could be in danger. However, if you really feel the need to tell someone you know, then find one person (preferably a friend or someone you're close to, youth or adult) who you know won't react negatively and talk to just that one person. Just having that one person know your secret can make a lot of difference. But like AbandonedSocks (she's got some good advice, you should listen to her) said, don't mistake this for being ashamed. You're keeping yourself safe, and that's what matters most.

7. Somelonelyguy77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I asked this same question. The answer I got was wait until the last year your at the school. Don't come out in 7th grade wait until close to the end of the year in grade 8 it will give you a chance to determine who's your friend and who's not. I know this isn't as helpful but if it is then your welcome:icon_wink

8. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Remember, coming out is NEVER easy - by yourself.
    To make it bearable and satisfying, you must have support. Once you have the support you can fall on if something goes on, nothing can stop you.

You are young, you have tons of time. But then again, if you are sure right now and have the mentality where you'll "cross the bridge when you come to it", then make sure you are prepared with trusted people.

Take it slow, and in steps if possible!

Good luck!