1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siblings who live overseas?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spirit, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Spirit

I have a half brother and half sister who have lived in Norway since they were little kids. They're 25, and 23, respectively. I see them once a year for 1-3 weeks in the summer, and if my dad is on the phone with one of them, I'll say hi. I consider them to be close family, and I love them very much. But the age difference, distance, and general lack of contact have kept me from having a really "in-depth" relationship with them. During their last visit over the summer, I wondered if I should say something about my sexuality. But I didn't, mainly because I hadn't come out to my dad yet. And when you only see someone for a few weeks, you really try to cram everything in, without room for serious conversations.

I'm starting to wonder about how I should approach telling them, now that I'm moving towards becoming more open about it. I've changed my 'interested in' on facebook, and I'm friends with them, so they could see it if they looked at my 'about me' section. I asked my dad about it a while back, and his response was to schedule an appointment with my psych so I could talk about it with her. Then I asked my mom what she thought, but she didn't really answer my question.

I'm thinking of posting a coming out message or something on facebook, and I'm worried that they might feel bad if they heard through the internet, and not me. (That's one of my main reservations about coming out.) I think they'd take it well, but I'm not 100% sure. Norway is a very pro-LGBT country, so it's not like they live in Russia or anything. I just don't know what their personal views on the topic are.

I don't mean to answer my own question here, but I do realize that I could solve this by talking to my dad. I just feel slightly awkward talking with him about LGBT stuff. He's supportive, but we just don't really talk about it.

I know this is kind of a unique family situation, but I'd appriciate any and all input.