1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After 12 years of marriage and 3 kids with my wife... I'm still gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PresidentC, Feb 25, 2014.

1. PresidentC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello all!

I am president C. My wife and i are 31, and have the most beautiful children in the workd. Let me start this by saying that I have been gay my whole life, I just didnt know how to deal with the feelings.

My wife and I are high school sweethearts. Absolute best of friends. When we got together I should have been more honest about my past. About how I had already had some experiences that I had already had with men. What I was 100% feeling.

When she and I got together I had never felt the way about a woman, I did towards her. It was completely new to me. I felt maybe I had overcome the feeling of wanting to be with another man. Just a word of advice, it doesn't go away. Never. It might suppress while you are early in your relationship, but IT WILL come back.

I do like to drink. A couple of weeks ago the alcohol didnt mix well with my emotions. i found myself inthe bathroom looking at craigslist hoping i would find someone crying out who was in the same situatiom as I. I realized what i was doing was completely wrong and for the first time in my marriage, I considered suicide. I never though that my feelings towards men and hiding it from my wife would push me to that place, but it did.

Two nights ago, the feelings were hitting me strong again. After 12 years of marriage, shaking like someone had a gun to my head, I told her. I'm gay. I always have been. You gave me something special no other woman has ever made me feel. By the look on her face I wondered if I had just pulled her heart from her chest, spit and stomped on it. It wasn't my intention at all to hurt her, but I did. And I really fell if I didnt I might not be here today.

There is nothing more I want in my life than to make this work, but even now, these feelings will never stop. Where do we go from here? How do we keep our family happy as well as ourselves? I am meeting with a coundselor later this week for advice, but I am ins situation where I will take all the advice I can get.

2. hatiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only reason a woman might not be happy with a gay is because she won't feel loved. Make her feel loved. Surprise her. She will forgive everything.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

You'll find many guys here who are in the same situation or who have been in the past.

4. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're 31, which seems pretty young to me (but that's from my perspective). I see that this is your first post here. Try coming on over to the Later in Life Forum. We have all ages, including a 14-year-old who likes to hang out with us (Hi, Sup, if you're reading this). But most of us are in our late 20's on up to my age. Many of us came here with stories and anguish just like yours. And we're all here to help one another. You can just lurk for a while and read threads if you want. And then tell us more about yourself when you're ready. But as someone whose opinion I trust on so many issues (Hi, skiff) says, "We're all tribe."

I may be more than twice as old as you are, but I'm dealing with many of the same issues that you are.

Welcome! (*hug*)

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your wife is in shock, because your admission came out of left field, and you basically told her that you don't love her the way she loves you, and there's no way you'll ever be able to. That's going to hurt really badly, and there's no way around it.

But I vehemently disagree with Hatiko. You aren't doing either her or you a service by staying in the marriage, because she deserves someone who can really love and care for her as much as she cares for him... and you deserve the same.

Yes, you could probably convince her you love her and everything would (sort of) go back to the way it was... except that the genie is out of the bottle. You know the truth, and so does she, and neither of you will be happy. So the best you can do is to work through the issue.

Remember that for both of you, there are the stages of loss to go through (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) and so it's important to understand that and expect those feelings to come up on both parts. But since you are both young, you also each have plenty of time to find someone who will really love and appreciate you the way you deserve.

The best you can do is to try and keep the communications lines open, listen with an open heart, and be there the best you can for her (and hope she'll do the same for you.) You should each see a therapist (different therapists, separately) to work through the issue. And with luck, both of you will be able to find a way to work through this and move on with your lives, and still have each other as a part of those lives.

As others have suggested, the "Later in Life" forums have a lot of people who are in similar circumstances, and you'll probably see a lot of similarities to your own experiences there. You're always welcomed to post whatever's going on in your mind there, here, or anywhere else on EC and get input, advice, or simply people listening to how you feel.

6. Daye419

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Chip. In addition to individual therapy though it can also be helpful to see a couples counselor to get help with facilitating those difficult conversations and learning how to navigate whatever changes are ahead. Keep your head up. I know that must be an extraordinarily painful situation.

7. PresidentC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you all so much for the replies/advice.

I should have mentioned earlier this isn't COMPLETELY out of left field. 3 years into our marriage she caught me reaching out to an old boyfriend for advice. We have had the discussion that I am somewhat bisexual. It's just that 31 years into my life I have fascinated about a man every single day I can remember. I have recently realized I have never felt the way about a woman the way I do my wife.

8. Clay

There are many of us that were in long relationships with the opposite sex, but like people said the Later in Life section would be a good place to look. It has many helpful people in similar situations to you, going through the same things. You'll find fantastic advice there.

9. confused mwm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good luck, Mr. President. I'm in a similar situation - married to a great woman, great kids, great life, gay. Farther along in marriage and life than you are, but not as far along in my journey out of the closet. Maybe I'll get there, maybe not, but I do know there is a very supportive group of men and women on this site who feel what you feel and have been in your shoes.

I look forward to helping each other in our journeys.

10. GayDadStr8Marig

And that for me is the heart of the dilemma... I'm completely gay, always have been, always will be. But at the same time my wife is the only woman I've ever felt an attraction and love for. Yes, in part that attraction and love came about due to the intense pressure internally to be compliant with expected norms of behavior. But, that does not diminish the fact that I do love her, even if the sexual relationship ended years ago. We have a daily routine, we've adjusted, and given some of our history since we had kids there's a pink elephant in the room no one talks about and pretends they don't see. But it is there, it smells and (for me at least) it is sucking the air out of the room.

Change is coming sooner than later. I've started therapy to deal with how to handle the changes that need to be made. Between sharing my story here, having a close friend and confidant to talk to face-to-face, and now therapy, I've made some significant progress from the complete mess I was just a few months ago. It is not an easy path we follow, but it is necessary to restore our own sense of integrity; anything less and we're not capable of being the partner, parent or friend we should be to the people in our lives we care about.