1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First party after being outed...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soillse, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I got outed at school due to a long story including people going through my phone. They're kind of wrong anyway since they've told everyone I'm bi and I'm a lesbian but I'm not going to correct them since at the moment I'm just refusing to confirm or deny anything. But the thing is that there's this party on Saturday night. I really want to go but I'm a bit worried about what people will say when they have alcohol in their systems. I was also going to ask my brother to supervise but since he doesn't know (knows about the rumours but not that they're kind of right) and also since he's likely to get himself in trouble if they say anything, I can't. I don't want to let them win by not going but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on dealing with any comments on Saturday? :help::help::help::help::help:

2. persephoneswife

First off, I just want to say it's incredibly admirable of you to desire to go to the party even after a violation of privacy of that magnitude. Way to go! :slight_smile:

As for what to do about the party, I can see a few possible options.

One possibility is telling someone you trust on a number of levels. Someone you can trust to support you and accept you, and who you can trust not to start anything on your behalf. Calling attention to comments by making a scene is hardly going to help.

If there's nobody you feel comfortable explaining the situation to, go with someone who won't ask questions of you that you aren't ready to answer , but is willing to come stand beside you and support you. Just having somebody with you, in situations like that, can be an immense help.

Keep in mind, as well, that you don't have anything to prove to anyone except yourself. If the only reason you want to go is because you're worried what your peers will think, you don't have to put yourself in that situation. If you really want to go, but you get to the party and are made to feel unwelcome, harassed, or attacked, you don't have to stay. There's no prize for willingly staying if people are saying or doing things that make you feel uncomfortable.

I'd definitely recommend, whether you're out to them or not, that you have somebody with you for moral support.

I hope this helps, and I hope you have a blast at the party if and when you go! :slight_smile:

3. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you!
    I recently (last night) reconnected with an old friend, and since I drank for the first time (and a lot), I'm pretty sure I told her, or at least said things that would make her suspect. I think I'm going to go with her as she doesn't know the venue and I'll enjoy having someone outside of my school friends to talk to. As long as no one makes it awkward by saying anything about her, it should be fine.