1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Co-Woker Crush

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by roadtripboy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. roadtripboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a co-worker who has a crush on me. So much so it's very clear to everyone. In fact the straight folks at the office noticed it before I did. He's very affectionate and touchy feely with me. However, he claims to be straight and has a girl friend. He's also much younger than me(21). I haven't discouraged him because...well...at first the attention was nice. And later because I thought it might help him work out some of his issuses about his orientation.

To understand the nature of my question you need to know we live in small town in the southern USA. Very fundamentalist here and his father is a Baptist minister.

He announced to all of us he plans to become engaged to his girlfriend soon. We all think this is a bad idea. The straight folks have been telling him he's too young. His just brushes that arguement aside. I haven't said anything. I think it's a very bad idea that will end up hurting both of them. But, denial is a powerful thing. I know this first hand, I didn't admit to myself I was gay until I was in my 30s.

I would really like to spare this kid some of the pain I went through. But, I don't know what do. I think you figure out you're gay when the time is right for you and you're ready to deal with it. So, I don't want to push him into admiting something he's not ready or able to deal with.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks.

2. Jim1454

I think you've got it right. I would certainly not encourage this attention he give you, nor would I confront him. I think you're on the right path.