1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He's Not "Out" Yet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by johnny11, Jul 12, 2008.

1. johnny11

So there's this guy that I've been talking to , and he's really sweet and cute , but he's not "out" yet, and this wouldn't bother me except for that he asked me to hang out (go on a date), but he just wants to go to his house to watch a movie, and most likely I won't be able to just go to his house, so I asked him if he would go to the movie theater .He said that wouldn't work out for him. I really like him a lot , but I don't want to just be his secret.

Also , he's a lot more sexually active than me ( not a hard competition), but I'm afraid he'll want me to have sex with him before I'm ready, and I'll be afraid to say no.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Hoppip

If you're not ready, say no. Don't be afraid to 'hurt his ego.' Don't pretend to be ready if you're not. Capiche?

About the privacy thing: Let him know. Honesty is the best policy in a relationship, ya dig? Or try to compromise or work something out. You can go to a movie without being all up in each others' grillpiece. Just act like you're friends.

Don't expect him to change for you (as in keeping private) if you won't change for him (saying no to sex).

3. Paralyzer

:] THAT MADE ME THINK

I have this thing for closeted relationships.. I think it's like a beautiful secret from the world and everything...

BUT
    I'm almost out to everyone.. considering my mom nearly knows and I was thinking maybe once I'm fully out, I won't like closeted relationships anymore because I would want to be free. At the momment, it's not much of a hinderence but I suppose it would be if I was completely out.

:grin:

Anyways, for you, I'd have to say, no means no and you shouldn't feel pressured to do something you don't want to. Tell him to bake you a cake first.

I don't really know what to say, maybe somehow I helped you? :grin: sorry about that ramble..

4. SkyTears

Sex is never anything to rush if it isn't what you are looking for because things can turn out bad so if it happens to pop-up and ur not ready don't worry about saying no.

As for being his little secret just talk to him about it and see his point of view for things. He probably (just a guess) wishes he could have an open relationship and not worry about it but it isn't as easy as it is for some people.

Best thing to do is just talk the whole thing out with him that way you can both get your views out on the table to work things out that is best for both of you.

5. johnny11

haha I will definately be like "No Go bake me a cake first"....

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best way to approach it would be to be honest with him. Tell him how you feel about it. Given that you like him, maybe you could meet him half ways. As you said he is not out, and it seems that he is not comfortable with the idea of going out in public yet. Try to get to know him better and see from where he is coming from. With time, he will be able to overcome it and will agree to meet with you in public as well.

Don't let him pressure you into anything that you are not comfortable with or not ready yet. If you see that he wants sex, or tell him that you are not ready for it yet and that you would like to get to know him better first. Don't be afraid to speak up.

Hope this helps!

7. sexyalex

Wanna know what i think? I think ur jumping to conclusions...a BIT too fast. :lol:

come on, answer this. DO you have a mind of your own? do you? If u do...saying no to sex will not be an issue. However, if u feel that way...u should totally tell him. and

a nex thing, i don't see the big deal with u going out to a public movie with him...it's not like ur gonna make out with him in the auditorium(are you?:eusa_eh:slight_smile:

and have u asked him why not?

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why wouldn't going to the movie theater work? Straight guys go to the movies in twos all the time. Is it because you're a "known gay", and he'll be "guilty by association"? And how do you know he's more sexually active than you? Because he said so?

This is gonna be your call, of course, but I'm already seeing a lot of red flags. Just remember that if you do decide to hook up with him, your odds of changing him are minimal.

Lex

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're worried about him pressuring you for sex, I definitely wouldn't start up any relationship by going to his house right off the bat because that's his turf and he'll have the advantage if he turns out to be a jerk in terms of being pushy. It's kinda like back to the basics for meeting people you've only met online: meet in a public place with lots of people around (like, hey, a movie theatre!).

As Lex says, teen guys (and guys in general) go to movie theatres all the time together. So unless you're going to see "Sex and the City" together and talk really loudly about shoes and shopping, I highly doubt anyone is going to think you two are gay just by looking at you. I just checked and most of the movies playing where I am right now are hardly movies which if you see are going to cause people to cast aspersions about your or his sexuality. So if he's THAT closeted, he is probably too closeted for you to date.

I think "secret closeted" relationships can work somewhat for people but yeah, having only met him online (I'm assuming that from what you've said, correct me if I'm wrong), I'd say you want to make sure to meet the guy in the open the first few times you hang out. That will conveniently mitigate the potential for you to be pressured for sex, too.

And especially if you can't even go to his house just boom like that, you'd think he'd be invested in "risking it" by going to a movie together. :slight_smile:

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

As a closeted person myself it is very hard to do things especially in small communities where people talk or your afraid to being seen. You have to make him understand your position as well in order for the relationship to work. Don't have sex until you are ready. Many people lose their virginity way to young and regret it down the line....

Best of luck.

11. nickj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This seems relatively simple to me.
    Go where ever you need to, I mean, if the house doesn't work for you, and the movies don't work for him...can he come to your home?
    That gives you an advantage on the whole "sex thing"

However, if he can't then maybe you can reschedule so both of you can agree to something. If he's this closeted, then time is probably not a big issue to him. He can wait a week or so to spend quality time with you.

Regardless, if you get into a situation and he's pressuring you for sex...just say no.
    It's always there as an outlet, and if he continues...he's obviously a waste of time

-nick

12. Gumtree

Perhaps you could talk to this guy before the date?

I understand just how hard it can be to just say 'No' in the heat of the moment, for many reasons :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But it is a lot easier to do beforehand.

Hit him up online and explain the situation, you're not interested in a closeted relationship nor are you up for a sexual relationship at this stage - It's better he knows these things now then say 2 weeks away when he asks you out.

13. summersforecast

Lex have you forgotten what it's like to be in the closet?! In can make you crazy! He might just be paranoid, and I know where he's comming from. You just get so worried that people will "suspect something" and that it will :***: up his whole life. Cut him some slack!

Johnny you don't realize how lucky you have it to have realationship at your age being gay if I were you I wouldn't mind being he's dirty little secret for a while until he's ready to come out, but if it really bothers you than talk to him about it. As for having sex if your not ready thats all that matters, and you have to make him recognize that.:thumbsup:

14. Pendrin2020

I'm with the gargoyle on this one. All I smell is Drama. It's up to you but my recommendation is to cut him loose. It kinda sounds like he's been through this before. Say, if he's not out to the world, odds are he's not out to his parents.

Are his parents out of town?
    Is he older or what?

15. Pendrin2020

I'm with the gargoyle on this one. All I smell is Drama. It's up to you but my recommendation is to cut him loose. It kinda sounds like he's been through this before. Say, if he's not out to the world, odds are he's not out to his parents.

Are his parents out of town?
    Is he older or what?

16. MOS KONIG

MOS KONIG Guest

Oh. Dating with someone in the closet is so exciting. More the risk, more the fun.

17. brasilboy1

Dating someone in the closet can be very exciting, but if they get scared: watch out! Here comes the heart ache, especially if you really love them. FROM EXPERIENCE! My ex has it so bad that he won't even admit that our relationship ever took place --- not even to me!

18. Nixon

Go to his house give him time

19. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I'm not out, and my BF hates it!

I told him when i met him that i had no intentions of coming out, he didn't believe me haha

20. sexybeast

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i agree with seanthon just say no. you may feel bad at frist but you'll relize it was worth it. I mean i been ib that spot before so i know how you feel right now