1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KBe, Feb 27, 2014.

1. KBe

KBe

hey y'all.

So I'm thinking about coming out to my best friend via text message. We've been friends since middle school (8 years) but now we go to college in different states. We're still close even though we don't get the chance to see each other very much and I would say she's one of the people that knows me best in the world. She'll be the second person I've come out to but it'll have a bigger impact on me if it doesn't go well than the friend I told first. We've always had the church/God thing in common and it's a not an insignificant part of our relationship so I'm a little concerned about her reaction. I don't want things to be weird between us because they never have been; I just want to be honest with her. I'm not scared so much as nervous. Any advice on how to say it so she'll take it well?

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, sweetie. It might help by starting the text conversation about an LGBT topic. Then, work your way through the conversation and up into your coming out. It can also give you a hint along the way about how she will take it, so you can be semi prepared for the response. And remember, try not to leave the brakes on when parking your TARDIS! Man, I love these doctor who references. :icon_wink

3. KBe

KBe

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try that. And also YES I WILL!! Perfect

4. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with CJ, always best to test the waters, then decide on the next course of action.
    Gauge her reaction, see if she's accepting or a bit hostile, and you'll know what to do based on the reaction(s).

5. KBe

KBe

Right so I was texting her last night, she was being chill as always so I told her. Then she didn't respond. I decided she probably just fell asleep and went to sleep myself. She texted me back first thing this morning and was like, I love you no matter what, this changes absolutely nothing and when you're ready to tell your parents I'll be there (she knows my parents are mad homophobic) but basically it couldn't have gone better and she is absolutely perfect (!) :thumbsup: :icon_bigg

6. AmiBee

I'm happy for you that it went so well. It's great to have the support of a friend.

7. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice! I would probably be out to so many more people if my parents would let me have a phone. I personally am a fan of coming out via texting, so because it's a lot easier to type something when you are somewhere else than to say something to their face.