1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I care what they think?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by canadaman, Feb 27, 2014.

1. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my best friend 3 months ago and came out to a lot of friends and my immediate family all in the last month....Everyone has been supportive and things have been going good for the most part....I have even thrown myself into the queer community in my city which has been good. For some reason sometimes I have a moment of regret that I have told people that I'm gay and I'm afraid for certain groups of people to find out like people that I went to High School with and my extended family (I'm 28 by the way). I want to be completely confident in my decision to come out and I also want to be completely comfortable that people are going to know that I kept this a secret for such a long time.....What do I care what they think?

2. Somelonelyguy77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1: Before you come out you need to accept that you are gay. If you do GOOD! 2:You shouldn't care what other people think, if the extended family or high school classmates do make fun of you say to your self "I'm a grown man and can be gay however I want no one can stop me". I hope this helps!

3. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks!! I have accepted who I am and if they don't accept me then it truly is their loss.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might be because when no one knew you had complete control over it, whereas now you have told quite a few people you have lost some of that control.
    It's normal to care what people think but over time it will fade the more you get used to being out.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Time, being out is new to you so it's still kind scary. Most of us went though that, myself included. Once you've got your stride that insecurity will go away

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dr Phil: "You wouldn't be so concerned about what people think about you, if you realize how little they do."

Your attitude is right; make friends with the people who do accept you and cast the others adrift.