1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i come out to my mom on her birthday?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PokePlayer, Feb 28, 2014.

1. PokePlayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just feel like i need to tell her she is one of the few people that i love and adore and believe she should know about who i really am. But is telling her on her birthday the right time to do it?

2. Nick07

Welcome to the board.

How do you expect her to react? Will there be guests and a party for her birthday?

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NO! NO! NO! haha, coming out on any holidays/birthdays is a bad idea(with the exception of national coming out day). you can tell your mom and i'm very proud of you gathering up the courage to come out the closet.

4. Clay

I would say no, even if you expect her to take it positively, simply because you'd be making her day about yourself.

But that's just me, do what you feel is right.

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would wait to the day after. You do not know how she is going to act, so it is better to be safe than sorry.

6. antimacy

First off, I think it's great that you seem to feel so ready to tell her! That's awesome.
    But, generally holidays/birthdays aren't the best time to come out, and another day might be better.

Is there a reason why you're thinking of telling your mom on her birthday?

7. Bluebird22

Bluebird22 Guest

Hey PokePlayer - I would generally errr on the side of not telling people on their birthdays, especially as there are 364 other days in the year. :slight_smile:

8. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't tell her on her birthday. If she is even slightly disappointed by the fact that you are gay she will probably (whether consciously or not) blame you for ruining "her" day and making everything about yourself. I know that is not your intention, but that could very well be the way she will see it.

9. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll echo everyone else and say try to avoid telling her on her birthday. Even if you're sure she'll be loving and accepting, I don't think it's unreasonable for parents to be a little bit disappointed to find out their child is going to have to take a more difficult path in life or feel a temporary sense of loss. Your mom's birthday should be a happy day that's entirely focused on her so I suggest waiting for the next day.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

10. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I suggest found it on a different day and will purpose a different reason although I agree with the points of the previous posters. My reason to choose a different day: cake. I'm sure you're scratching your head at this but bear with me...

Coming Out is a huge deal for some people. For others not so much but, for salee of argument, we'll say it is for you. So when you celebrate your coming out in years to come wouldn't you like to have cake on the day you did it? If you come out on your mother's birthday there already is cake. Come out on another day and more cake. See where I'm going? More reasons to celebrate = more cake = good. :slight_smile:

Of course, if you don't like cake I can't help you there.