1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Imsoweird, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Imsoweird

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, um I just want some advice…
    So I have been thinking about coming out to my parents for like months now haha, but like a week ago I came out to my closest friends so now it's more current than ever.
    My parents are all for equal rights and that stuff so I don't have it difficult with that bit but I just want some advices on how to tell them.
    I was planning on coming out today but my aunt is here and I want to come out to only my parents (as a start) so yeah…
    I think I might do it after the dinner tomorrow but if the gay-toppic doesn't come up otherwise (which it might do) I need some tips on how to start talking about it.
    It feels a little weird to just say out of the blue "mum, dad, I'm a homosexual." eh…

I mostly want to come out to my parents so that I completely can be myself around them bc we have a really good relationship, as it is now it sometimes feel like I'm lying to them and I just want to get it out of my chest.

Thanks if you have an advice(*hug*)

2. Molgera

I know how awkward coming out to your parents can be. I just came out to my dad a few months ago. I'd say that if the topic you're looking for doesn't pop up at dinner you could always bring up the topic slowly yourself. Lots of people when they come out to a parent start by saying "Mom...Dad...I got something important to tell you...." and go on from there and explain how you feel. :slight_smile:

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your parents are quite liberal minded and supportive of equal rights it should make things so much easier for you. I didn't have that certainty at all.

I think you are right to wait until you are alone with your parents as its quite an important thing to tell them, even knowing that they support equal rights. I told my parents there was something important that I needed to say and that I didn't want to keep things from them. I explained that I had been aware of my same sex attraction for a long time and that I'd now started dating other men. I asked them how they felt about it and hoped they would support me.

Sounds like you have really good parents, so I hope all goes well.

4. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    My family just jokes around, and the other day someone brought up that "when I see a couple I'm like OK" thing from MIB3. I was joking that when he saw a gay couple or a lesbian couple he would be like "Oh! Oh." And "KK." I'm planning on bringing it up to my mom and telling her that I'm a KK kind of guy. I guess what I'm saying is that the situation differs with the type of family you have. Doing the way I'm planning will be easiest for me, but it doesn't mean it will be the best way for you. You decide!