1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

paid to date a girl??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cityboy340, Jul 13, 2008.

1. cityboy340

Originally: OC, California Now: Baltimore/DC
    Well... I have a problem. My sister outed me to my parents, and while my dad is fine and is like whatever, my mom (who is prejudiced about anything different) is sooooooo not ok. Well, she kept going on about setting me up with a girl blah blah blah, and now she said that she would give me $1000 to go on a date with a girl and actually prove it was a date (holding hands, kissing, flirtiness(a word?)) by the way, i desperately need the money as I do not have the best spending habits, aka i am a black hole when it comes to money. So here's my question: I have a LOT of girl friends that I can prented to date because my parents don't know them. So should I pretend to have magically turned straight (my mom thinks I can change being gay as easily as I can change my clothes) and get the money, or stand up to her and keep my dignity??

2. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Go for the dignity, you'll thank yourself later in life.

3. acorn7

Stand up to her, definitely... the fact you spend too much money is an entirely different issue, and your relationship with your mom is worth a lot more than $1000. You have to make her accept and embrace it.

4. I think you should stand up to her.
    By taking the money, and going on the date with a girl that is just a friend, is going to make your mother believe that you can change your sexuality, which isn't true.
    also it will probably make you unhappy in the end.
    How long can you play straight?
    and if the majority of your family/friends are supportive, you could possibly ask them to talk to your mom with you.
    I don't know i hope i helped, i just think that you should keep your dignity and stand up for who you are! : )

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Carry it through past the money changing hands.

Say you find a girl to do this.
    You go out with her, and play tonsil hockey with her right in front of your mother.
    She (presumably) gives you $1000.

...then what?

Do you take the check and say, "Thanks, sucker", and go back to dating guys?
    Do you bring the girl over every month or so to do a repeat performance to keep mom from getting suspicious?

If she literally and truly will give you $1000 to go on a date with a girl, tell her to give the money to your dad in escrow, find a girl to do it, collect the cash...

...and give her at least $250 of it. It's only fair.

Lex

6. Cool Beans

Personally, I think your dignity is worth more than a thousand dollars. Plus, if you did this, you would be giving your mom false hope, and when she found out, she'd probably be pretty upset about giving you a thousand dollars on false pretenses as well. It just seems like a very bad idea to me.

7. LorenzG1950

Explain to your mom that a date is not going to change your orientation. If she still wants the bet, take her up on it and collect the cash. If she is willing to pay $1,000 to be educated about homosexuality, then it might turn out to be a valuable lesson for her. :grin:

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are going to prove more to your mother by telling her to keep her money. You are gay and nothing is going to change that. Get her some PFLAG materials ASAP!

9. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Well, the correct thing to do is to stand your point and not take the money.

HOWEVER. In my personal opinion, she said "date a girl", not "turn straight". Date a friend of yours and get the money. You would be doing what she asked you, to 'date a girl', not 'TURN STRAIGHT'. Just a random thought.

10. Kat22

Trust me, I understand how much $1000 can help, but in the long run, it is only going to make matters worse. Where I'm from, if you are being paid to go on a date, kiss, etc. someone, you're a prostitute. Ha ha. Jk, but seriously, the dignity you will keep is worth millions more than the money you would get. It's going to prove your mom wrong, and hopefully help her get on track to acceptance. I agree with Becky. Give her PFLAG stuff now! :slight_smile:

11. Sam

Sam

While I want to say take the money because I would be tempted, I have to say go with your dignity because eventually you are going to get tired of lying and then it's going to be worse. If you say no to the money then your mom will see that you are serious about being gay even though she will probably still think that you can change.

I would try to talk to her about the fact that you can't change being gay. You said your dad is ok with it, have you tried talking to him to see if he believes it's a choice? Maybe you can ask his advice on what you should say to her?

I think you would regret taking the money because it would just reinforce her thinking that it is a choice even if you are lying about it because in her mind she would just be thinking yes see it is a choice.

Sam

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^She summed it up pretty well. $1000 might be tempting, especially to a person with money troubles, but your dignity is worth more. Asking for the money would only reinforce her belief that sexuality is changeable. By refusing the offer, you would indirectly tell her that it wouldn't make a difference and hopefully leaning her towards acceptance.

13. cityboy340

Yeah I agree, its just my mom is literally insane, and she refuses to believe that im gay (even thought its pretty clear) and she thinks that i simply woke up one day and said ahh I think I'll be gay from now on. Its sickening, but I only have one more year until I'm off 3000 miles away at college, so that's why I thought it might be worth a shot. By the way, thanks for all of your encouraging comments :slight_smile: The quote speaks mounds of truths by the way :thumbsup:

14. NathanHaleFan

I can see both sides of the issue, but Lorenz seems to have found a way to make a compromise between the two. I kind of like that way. :icon_wink

15. EM68

Good luck. I agree with everyone above. Do not accept the money. Your dignity and your relationship with your mom is worth a lot more.

16. cityboy340

Yeah. I'm going to try and convince her that I cannot just "change on a whim". Wish me luck!

17. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    *cough*demand $2k*cough* Just kidding. Mostly.

Anyways good luck with that, after all it's a lesson she needs to learn as a human being to accept you (and others) regardless of any "status" a person has.

18. cityboy340

Oi Vey!

hehehe but yeah I agree, she just needs time to wrap her head around this fact...

19. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

I would date a girl then take the money and date her brother just for the fun of it.... if i was out! of course I don't like my parents!
    did she say she waould give u a 1000 dollars to turn straight or to go on a date?

20. SkyTears

$1000 ... and you say you have bad spending habits ... think about how fast you can spend money then measure that up with the time you have after the money is gone ... tell me how that works out?

this is just how I would think of it if my mom did this