1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend and coming out to him

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Firephyz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Firephyz

I have this really good friend, a guy, who I would love to come out to but I don't know what he would think about it. We are in the same section in band and soon, I'll be rooming with him and some other friends at Disney World when our band goes down there. I feel like if I tell him that I'm gay, he will probably feel weird rooming with me. At the same time, however, I feel like he should know since we are such good friends. Also, his actions at times often lead me and many others to question his sexuality. This is going to sound weird but he's kind of touchy, particularly towards other guys, often to the point of sitting on my lap on the bus. Other times, he makes "gay" jokes, or jokes that most totally straight guys wouldn't say. He never does this around girls though, so I sure that he's just doing these things for attention. I know he's not homophobic but I just don't really know what to expect after considering our close friendship and his actions. Only to further complicating things, I'm pretty sure I have feels for him too, so that's just fantastic. Thanks :icon_bigg

2. wildernesswolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If the trip isn't too far off you could wait until after the trip im going through something a little similar looking for some advice as well though.

3. Silver Sparrow

Hmmm...
    Ultimately, only you can decide whether or not to come out to him. Ideally, coming out would change nothing, but that isn't always the case.

4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like Silver Sparrow said, ideally coming out to him wouldn't change anything. But if you're worried about him being awkward about rooming with you, then you could wait until after the trip to tell him. That way he doesn't have any reason to be weirded out.

Ultimately, you're the only one who can decide whether or not you want to come out to him. I would say that if you think he will take it well, then go for it! If you question his sexuality, then there's a chance he might be gay as well (obviously). If he is and he comes out to you, then there's one more person that you can get closer to!

5. Will2M

Tell him on the trip. Room with him then tell him. Trust me. I don't know how your sleeping arrangements will be but if it is with other people just wait until there is a time when everyone is out of the room except for you two and then tell him i.e "I have something to tell you... I am gay." If it is just you two in a room in separate beds just tell him while you are sitting there before you go to sleep, you a relaxed and comfortable then. If you are scared that he won't accept it then tell him on the last day but if he is really your best friend it shouldn't be hard to do especially in a situation I described. You don't have to follow my advice but you should :wink: it's a win-win.

Good luck! It'll be great.

Btw, the separate beds before going to sleep thing is how I came out to my friend. And at first he was scared that I was gonna try and have sex with him or something but I told him I wasn't attracted to him and that was that. He was super supportive. My guess is your friend will be the same :slight_smile:

#5 Will2M, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014