1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to come out as?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayCJ, Mar 4, 2014.

1. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I know I'm a bi-romantic homosexual. I have no problem with this. My problem is, wouldn't it be awkward to say "I've got something to tell you. I'm a bi-romantic homosexual." It just sounds too complicated. Because I'm kind of in between gay and bi, I want to know if I should come out as either one or just go the whole nine yards and say the full term. I just don't want to say it and have people be like "Umm... What?"

2. TheUglyBarnacle

Maybe you could just explain the whole thing? When I came out the first few times, I only told people that I like girls. No label or anything. I just declared my preference. You could do the same.
    "I like men but I have the capacity to feel a strong connection with a woman."
    "I am gay but that does not mean I will never fall in love with a woman."

Or something like that? XD

3. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should probably explain it to them. I don't even know what a bi-romantic homosexual is.

4. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    A bi-romantic homosexual is pretty much what it sounds, for people that don't know. I sexually like guys but romantically like both boys and girls.

5. BelleFromHell

If you don't want to explain it to them, just say you're gay.
    You're technically more gay than bi anyway, since you find men sexually attractive, but not women.
    If you want to explain it, just say you love men and women, but you only want to be sexual with a man. Some people may be weirded out by that though, so if you want my advice, just say you're gay.

6. Soaring

You could just say "I'm not straight" and then only explain further if they ask. That's what I do at least. After you do this people normally tend to ask "are you gay?" and then follow it up with "are you bi?" In my case I normally tend to respond "no" to the first question and "close enough" to the second question. You might want to just respond with "not quite, but close" to both questions. Normally this leaves people confused, but then you avoid having to give long explanations about your orientation over and over again, and there's also the added bonus that you don't end up explaining it to people who don't want a long explanation.

I don't know if you would actually want to do this or not. You might find it unhelpful because it doesn't explain much about your sexuality and sometimes makes it seem as if you are avoiding their questions, but I like this way better just because of the fact that I don't have to explain myself as often.

7. greyishercolour

I would say tell them the truth- the WHOLE truth. They might be confused, but you don't want something coming up later where they don't understand because you tried to make things simpler for them.

8. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was thinking maybe say that I like men and explaining it when they ask their questions. Does anybody else agree with it? I pretty much just came out via YouTube comment but I figure that I want my parents to know and they don't watch YouTube, so I have to come out to them separate from that. And for some friends that don't know I've got a channel (probably because I've only ever posted comments).

9. greyishercolour

I think that would work- some people will need an explanation, others won't. So that's a good point to start on :slight_smile:

10. CandyZombies

I feel you since I identify as a homo-romantic asexual, if and when I come out I may just go with the term lesbian. It's close enough and I wouldn't want to explain it to be honest, as long as they know you're not straight. You can go with gay, bisexual, or you can explain the whole thing. It's up to you! ^.^

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I know some people might think these labels are unnecessary and complicated and to just go with gay, which I do understand,but I'm in favor of saying the honest thing. I think if your sexual and romantic orientation doesn't align, you need to be honest.

I dated a girl who came out to me as bisexual, but It turns out she was actually heteromantic homosexual. HUGE different IMO. I would never have dated her if I actually knew that. To normal people you don't have to overcomplicate your identity, but if you had a girlfriend, that would be different and she should know that you aren't into her sexually.