1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty sure my parents know, but then again...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rokosmodernlife, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Rokosmodernlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I know I've liked men and women for as long as I can remember. But the issue is that my parents are rather close minded about the LGBT community. My father thinks that your sexuality has to do with who you are raised around, and my mother thinks that you can only be gay or straight, not bisexual or transgendered because then you're just confused.

Anyways. I'm pretty sure that they know since my mom keeps on saying if the girl I'm friends with is cute or something along those lines, but then again she doesn't come out and ask (which is expected since she is very direct). My dad - I think he's oblivious to the fact.

The problem is coming out to them, since we have a rather conservative family, and because of their beliefs on the gay community. I've also never had a girlfriend, so it makes explaining things to them a little more difficult.

My siblings all know that I'm bisexual, so they have my back, as do my friends. But my parents are my parents, it's their acceptance that I am earning for.

Is there any advice y'all could give? Are there any situations that you've expletives that are similar?

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC! They probably will support you if you come out to them, regardless of their views on bisexuality. They are your parents. But, be sure to explain to your dad that your being bi has nothing to do with him or anybody you are raised around, and explain that bisexuality is a real thing to your mother.