1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out…and now I'm desperate to go back in

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confusedandi, Mar 5, 2014.

1. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I come from a very religious, very anti-gay family. I'm closest to my mom and, because I felt like I was going to explode if I didn't tell her, I made a powerpoint that addressed biblical passages that basically explained that - even according to the bible - being gay is not a sin (I can send you the text of this if you want it). I knew my dad wouldn't receive it well regardless so I asked her in the email I sent not to view it when my dad was around. Unfortunately he saw the email and for my safety my mom had me go to her friends house. I just want to take it all back. I wish I had never come out.

2. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    so you left the parents ?

3. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mom made me go to her friends house so my dad wouldn't hurt me

4. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    whats going wrong let us figured it out ... nothing to worry about .

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

so you are 17 you can report

5. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just want to go home but I can't because of my dad. I just want to go home. I want to forget this ever happened. I know even though my mom seemed ok with me she's going to convince me I'm not gay. I just want to go home

6. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    you are afraid that your father will hurt you ? is this the issue hon

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2014 at 11:17 AM ----------

ok dnt worry call your father and tell him i want to back home and i will try not to be gay okkkk ?

7. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    he's not a good person. and I already admitted I was gay there's no way I can take that back

8. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ok you want to be like what you are or you will try not to be gay ?

9. WishingOnAStar

You can't take it back. People everywhere are coming out sometimes it goes well, sometimes not so much. I deal with an abusive brother giving me crap everyday. So I understand, slightly. I'm very sorry for what your going through but you need this. It sounds like your a Christian or something due to the way of coming out as well as me and what always keeps me going is this, God gives his hardest battles to his toughest warriors. I believe in you! You will get through this battle and everyone here is cheering you on. Show your dad that he can't touch you. Your made of titanium and proud of who you are no matter what. I understand wanting to go home. Anyone would feel the same way. It won't be the same but you will always be there little girl. And if he is an abusive father despite personal feelings toward him and your home you are better off away from him and maybe your mom and you need to get out of that house. Good luck:*

10. Clay

If your dad is threatening you with physical abuse then your best option right now is to stay at your mums friends. Don't go home.

And don't let them force you back into the closet. Their views aren't more important than your well-being. If he's willing to abuse you then he's not a good father.

11. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks everyone. I don't feel strong right now at all.

12. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I talks to my mom and she said she still loves me and will help me deal with this "issue" and read me this article about how ppl can't help their orientation but that it's a sin to act on it. She said the LGBT is like a cult and that I'm going to go to counselling and after that I'll be able to have a happy healthy relationship with a man. The only reason I came out is so I could stop faking but now it seems I'm destined to fake my happiness for the rest of my life.

13. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How old are you? You're parents only "control" you for a while. No one can "exorcise" or "therapy" the gay out. It just doesn't work that way. If you still have college to go to, find one a little farther so you can move out. It'll give the ground to be you.

14. AmiBee

First, It's very important that you stay physically safe, which sounds like you should stay away from your farther. You can't change your sexually orientation. You can pretend for awhile if you need to for safety and to be able to stay at home. However, I would suggest becoming independent of them as soon as you can. It seems like that will be healthiest for you. Hugs and good luck.

15. GayDadStr8Marig

Actually, parents never truly control their children; children instinctively want the love and acceptance and support of their parents and try to comply by acting in a way to reinforce the feeling of love they receive. As we get older, we become aware of a sense of being "controlled" because we do not need the constant reaffirmation of our parents love as much as we did when young, and because we are becoming more aware daily of our own needs and desires. Eventually we reach a level of maturity to be able to realize for ourselves that what our parents want (demand) from us is incompatible with who we are as individuals. At that point, a parent has control over you only if you give them the control.

You're also at the tricky age of 17 so while technically a minor for a bit longer, you're also old enough in a number of situations to be recognized as an adult, or at least not required to submit to the influence of your parents. They may not be able to force you to move home; they may not be able to force you to get counseling (reprogramming therapy is what it sounds like they want you to endure). This is an awful situation your parents created. You did not create this problem, they did.

16. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's so hard. My mom has reached the 'anger' stage in the 5 stages of grief and it's so awful. She believes to her core that acting on homosexual desires is sinful and she thinks that "it's sick" that I don't think that it's wrong. She says it's unfair that I've "lied" to her for so long and that I'm only looking at biased sources (which I'm not). I think I've also reached the anger stage too and I've shut down so I don't take it out on my mom. I know she means well but what she says is so freaking hurtful. I'm "headed down a dark terrible path and if" I "looked into my heart I would realize that this is wrong." Also she said that I'm being "stubborn by not wanting to go to [as I put it] a pray the gay away counsellor." Also they subtly threatened me with taking my college away because, as my mom put it, "if this is the path I chose I should take a year off before going to college because then I'll be lost forever." Then she suggested that I not hang out with anyone anymore so I can "figure myself out" and by that she means deciding I'm not gay. At first I was thinking, "am I really willing to throw away my family and college for my orientation?" Then I realized that I'm not the one throwing those things away, my parents are doing so. And what kind of person am I if I give up what I believe in for connivence? Sidenote: My dad is a jerk and he's totally manipulating the situation. I'm almost sure he is not Christian, he's an alcoholic, he leaves us behind all the time yet now he's acting all remorse and worried about my soul. Wonderful. I'm considering moving out once I turn 18 on the 14th because this is killing me. However, I'm willing to compromise to do that whole "pray the gay away" thing with them…I just can't live there. Am I being too rash? Thanks for putting up with my soap opera crap. Xx

#16 confusedandi, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  17. Envira

you're not being too rash at all. i would move out as soon as possible. they can't control you when you turn eighteen. go to a close friend if you can, who will treat you with love, and keep you hidden.

18. newfish

I would pretend to do the "pray the gay away" and then try to go a college where you'd have to move out. That way you can be open at college, and then as soon as you're done with college, move out so you're no longer financially dependent. Or just move out as you suggested, as it certainly sounds like your current living situation is not good. Either try to hang in there or get out ASAP - I think both decision would work out and it's ultimately your choice.

19. WearyWanderer

This is your life we're talking about...your parents might think they know what's best for you, but they obviously do not. My advice to you would be to move out as soon as possible, if you can't support yourself then move in with somebody you can trust. If your parents are continue to do this to you and won't understand that this is YOUR life, then break off contact with them. I know that would be hard, but from what it seems like this seems to be the only way for them to stop what they're doing. In time, perhaps their views will change as they want their daughter back. That's my viewpoint, at least.
    Stay strong. So sorry that you have to go through this. (*hug*)

20. Clay

Just terrible. I wish I could give you a hug.

You said that your mum said you "lied" to her for so long, which isn't true. You were hiding, which is different. She's trying to make you feel horrible frankly. She's trying to emotionally manipulate you, it's a straight up abusive.

This bit:

Is absolutely true. I'm quite glad you came to that realisation. Anyway yeah your best bet would be moving out when you turn 18 on the 14th. This "pray the gay away" thing will just try to make you hate yourself more.

Perhaps you could try to speak with your mother about how she's making you feel? Tell her that's she's trying to make you hate yourself?

Like I said though, don't let them force you back into the closet, and don't let them make you hate yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you, it's your parents that are in the wrong.