1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out even if single, or wait?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SwiftKnight, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SwiftKnight

Hi everyone i have sort of come out to about 5 friends, & i'm thinking of coming out to more.
    But I was thinking, should i wait till i somehow miraculously have a girlf or just come out?

also what do you do when you
    1) have straight male friends that are in love with you (but they dont confess and try to hide it which failed terribly) and you try to tell them by discussing LGBT topics with them, and they are like 100% supportive of LGBT but don't get the hint and you treat them like a good friend and dont wanna lose the friendship

2) have probably 99% straight female crushes that you will never get :icon_sad:

3) and everyone in the whole world thinks you're straight

how do i hint to people i like that i'm gay?! without alarming homophobic people.

sometimes i see loving heterosexual couples and just wish i could somehow be straight :eusa_doh:

thankyou anyone for reading this

2. Hexagon

Come out. Chances are you won't get a girlfriend while closeted. It dramatically reduces your chances of meeting one, but also, people are not always comfortable dating closeted people. More importantly, being out isn't just about relationships. It's about being honest with those close to you, and being comfortable and able to love yourself. And it's about solidarity with the queer rights movement, and progress by the simple act of being out.

Say you your straight friends: "You're a great friend, and because of that I want to be honest with you about something. I've wanted to tell you this for a while. I'm gay. You think you could keep that quiet for now?"

3. Gambit

I used to think along the same lines as you, waiting to come out until I met someone special, but then I realized that my chances of meeting someone special were very limited. So I decided to come out to a selected group of people and be out with new people I met. I has worked great, it's nice to finally be able to be myself. I even met a nice guy, although things didn't end up working out :frowning2:. I even tried online dating since I don't care anymore if anybody I know finds my profile or something along those lines. So, if you think you're ready to come out, it's better to do it. The closet can be very limiting.

Regarding to question 1, I have been in this situation in the past, so I will just share my experience. Apparently, people never suspect I'm gay, they always assume I'm straight. I also have a very flirtatious personality, so many women assume I'm flirting with them. A few years ago, a girl with whom I was friends for more than a year told me she was in love with me. I told her I only liked her as a friend, since at that time I didn't want to come out. She didn't take it well and that friendship died, unfortunately. More recently, I noticed one of my girl friends was also into me, and that I may have been misleading her (I already explained the flirtatious personality). This time, I came out to her, knowing that I could trust her. Things worked out great. Of course for a couple of weeks she seemed distant, but now we are closer friends than before.