1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple question... Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by allyssa, Mar 6, 2014.

1. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Simple question: Should I come out?

Name's Allyssa, 27, Bisexual, have a gf (5 years in secret)
    I still live with my parents and siblings. Haven't told them because they are super Catholic.
    My dad kicked me out once for not going to church on Sunday.(I stayed up studying for a final)
    I fear that if I tell them, they will not accept me. Disown me.
    My mother is Catholic, I'm not sure how she would take it.
    My father is Catholic, not sure he'll take it well. I think both would think they failed as parents.
    My sister (23) is about to get married. She is WAY Catholic. She went to a Catholic college.
    My brother (21) is lazy, hasn't gone to college and I think would take it the best out of anyone...

What do you think? I'm just opening a discussion, it's not like I'll be telling them soon.

2. AmiBee

I think that it would be hard to come out to them while you're still living at home. It won't give you any space to escape the conflict. My family is also Catholic. I came out to them a few years after I was on my own. My mother, in particular, had a hard time with it, but she's gradually come around.
    Is your gf out? What does she say about the situation?

3. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She is also not out. She also live with her Cristian parents. She supports me on if I want to come out... She said she would have an easier time with her family since they are only Cristian.

It's just I'm 27 and want to move out. But I'm so in duet from school loans I can't afford to move out. Same with her. I just feel trapped.

4. AmiBee

I'm sorry. That must be very hard to deal with. Hugs.

5. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As much as we are all here to provide you with support and to encourage you to become your true self, I also want you to know that you need to proceed with caution with anything that might put you into any sort of danger, whether physically or emotionally.

As hypocritical as it sounds, your safety is the utmost priority. Judging from your post, if your family is willing to kick you out of the house for missing church, then I would really consider holding off from telling them. If you really need support, talk to a LGBT counsellor or join a group in your local neighbourhood.

If you need additional advice, let us know!

6. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There are LGBT groups that meet up? I wouldn't even know where to look. And as much as I would love that, I'm not sure.... I'm just... I haven't really told many people who I really am... I guess part of me would be nervous to go to a meeting. And as for a counselor, I have no money.... I can't really afford to talk with someone. Although I really really really wish I could. u_u

7. thrnvlpidj

You're out here. Maybe that's enough for now.