1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Family Member vs. Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by newfish, Mar 6, 2014.

1. newfish

So far I've only come out to one friend - all the way back in October. Now I'm thinking I'll come out to my older sister this weekend. I am 100% sure she'll be accepting. She has gay friends, we're in a non-religious family (which doesn't stop my parents from having some loosely masked homophobia), and she's quite liberal and pro-LGBT rights. We're also very close. Anyway, I'm wondering what the difference is between coming out to a friend and a family member? Were you more ore less nervous? The same?

2. Skov

I was way more nervous. I think that the fear of rejection is a lot worse with a family member than with a friend. I also felt like I owed more of an explanation to family. I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I did. Hope it all goes well for you!

3. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was a lot more nervous, like skov said. Fear of rejection is a lot more evident with family members, and it's something that I got even when I was sure they would be accepting. I think my dad doubts it, and he's the only one so far, but I'm pretty sure he feels like if I was he wouldn't care.

4. newfish

I had the fear of rejection, which is why I haven't done it for so long. I guess I'll just have to ignore the nervousness when I get there. Or just wait some more.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was more nervous telling my best friend, even though he's bisexual, because I was more worried about losing him than I am my family.

6. Silver Sparrow

I'm not out to any of my family, as I'm way more nervous to tell them.

7. trumpetnerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm only partially out to my family (just my aunt) and fully out to my friends, but I think that for me, it wasn't fear of rejection - well I guess in a way it was - but it was more fear of punishment from my parents for it. That fear doesn't really exist with coming out to friends.

8. newfish

So I planned to come out to my sister in the car today. I didn't. The past two people I've come out to, there was this "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO STRESSFUL" panic and I didn't feel that nervous shaking or anything, it was just like I couldn't force the words out. This time there was none of it. I didn't even seriously think about coming out as soon as I got in the car. I was just too scared. I'll see if we have time tomorrow.

9. Phoebsta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me I think it's just the fear of being kicked out, discriminated against and being rejected by my family.
    It's like you have known the nearly all your life, they have provided for you, helped you and have given up things for you to be happy and then suddenly because you are gay they treat you the expect opposite. At least with your friends you don't live with them

10. For me, it was easy to come out to my best friend of over 20 years. He he was surprised at first but he eventually came around and we're back to being best buds. Now, with that said I'm terrified about coming out to my family. :frowning2:

11. newfish

I actually did it. She said it was good and she was probably bi, so that went really well. Oh and "Part of Your World" is now officially a coming-out song, I came out right after if finished playing.

12. xBrightEyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Was way more nervous coming out to my friends! My friends are way more understanding than my family were, and I'm much more comfortable talking to them about it! My family are okay with me but I personally found friends easiest to come out to!