1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Everyone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by artist92, Mar 6, 2014.

1. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In an earlier thread I talked about coming out to my parents. Since then, they have not been quite as supportive, but that's just because it took a while for it to hit them that their son wasn't what they though. I'm ok with that, because it is a lot to put off on them. I slept great that night knowing that I finally told someone, and didn't have to hide it. But besides my parents, only one coworker and a cousin know. Tomorrow I am going to come out in a more public way. I will make a video and post it to Facebook. I make videos as a hobby and as a second job, so I think I can do it that way. Is this an appropriate way of coming out? Or will my friends and family be upset that I didn't tell them personally?

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

If you feel it's right and you're comfortable with it then why not? If you think someone will feel upset you didn't tell them, you should tell them and consult them about your video idea. It's good that you came out to your parents first. That one of the hardest things to do.

3. katwat

I think they way that makes you the most comfortable is the way to go. It might upset some people that you did not go one at a time, face-to-face, but this is your news about your life so you should do it your way.

Whatever you chose to do I hope everyone gives you the love and support that you deserve. Good luck!

4. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks y'all. I'm very nervous, but I have a plan that should help ease some of my nerves. What I plan on doing is posting the video then immediately shutting off my phone and computer. I'll then go see movie, and won't check my Facebook until I get back. It just makes it easier to step away, and let everyone deal with it a little before answering a lot of questions.

5. IsThisAName

I think if that is what you feel comfortable with, then it's a great way to do it! My younger sister (16) is bisexual and came out on her Facebook status. I was initially hurt because I'm her sister and I thought we were close enough for her to tell me herself, but after talking to my best friend who is gay, he pointed out that it's much easier to come out in a less face-to-face way rather than telling someone in person (I should've understood this already since I'm bi and have yet to tell my family, but that's another story). People should understand that and I think anyone who is supportive of the gay community or gay rights in general will admire your bravery and if anyone was is actually hurt, it will only be because perhaps it was unexpected and I'm sure that hurt will quickly fade just as mine did.

6. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't be coming out after all. My parents are so angry now, and my sister won't speak to me. I guess I should just stop even trying to live my life. I should just avoid all relationships and remain alone. My life is a waste.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely not!

The "now" in the above quote is important, DO NOT back down, ever! Talk to them calmly, if you have to, but just stay out of their sight for a while and let them process this new reality.

If you give them the slightest hint of uncertainty or waffling, they will take that crack in your armor and widen it until you are fully exposed. Stand your ground!

Your life is a gift and it is beautiful. Someone else will find you beautiful too, someone will love you, keep yourself as you are for when that day comes!

8. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    During my lunch break I decided it was time and I posted it. All of my friends have given me nothing but support since. But now, my parents hate me. I overheard my dad in the other room say something about "He should just have IT cut off". I don't know if I'll have a home to go when I leave work.

9. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's very unfortunate. Well, since your friends are so supportive, I'm sure you could find one that you would be able to live for a while. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

#9 GayCJ, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014