1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to a larger friend group?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by treespoon, Mar 7, 2014.

1. treespoon

Hi all!
    I'm pretty comfortable with identifying as a lesbian/bi person, I think I've known it all my life. I told my best friend that I may not be straight, and she took it so well! I love her so much and I'm super happy right now.
    However, I feel like I want to tell my larger group of friends (four more). I really trust them, I'm just not quite as close to them as I am to my best friend. I'm sure they'll take it well, but it's so hard! It's almost like a feel a physical blockage in my throat whenever I want to tell them.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to come out to those four? Over text? At lunch? At a sleepover?
    Help!

2. IsThisAName

It all depends on how much you are comfortable with, but if you are really scared to do it in person, text is a good option I think. I did come out to my best friend (he's gay) in person and it went really well, but seeing as it's so hard to say and so nerve wrecking, text can be easier. One of my best friends I've known since we were 10, and I still plan to come out to her over text. If you're sure they'll take it well anyway, it just makes things easier for you! Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Silver Sparrow

I would disagree with text, as it could easily be passed around to other people. If you text them ahead of time saying there is something you want to tell them, that might be helpful with getting over the lump in your throat.

4. Music Soul

If you are nervous about coming out to the whole group at once you could always come out to each person individually.

5. treespoon

Thanks all! :slight_smile: