1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my sister.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by willfultrans, Mar 9, 2014.

1. willfultrans

Out Status:
    A few people
    In my family I've always been able to look up to my sister, she is very open minded, very fun, and she cares about me a lot.
    However, in the past year or so shes been encouraging me to go to church and do as our parents say, which is not something she would have recommended before. On top of that, we went out the other day, and she kept babbling to me about this guy she likes, I didn't mind talking to her about it. But she kept saying "I love talking to my baby sister about this!!" and the like. Also, she has been known to tell my parents secrets I've shared with her before.

However, she is my big sister, I love her a lot, and I don't want to lose her as part of my family. I want to come out and tell her I am a boy.So badly, I hate keeping this a secret from her. But I'm worried that it will hurt her, or she won't approve, or she will tell my parents that I am trans. I could be kicked out of my house or sent to one of those camps or therapists that "make you striaght". My sister is not homophobis, but she has never been super ally, nor do I think she even has a very good concept of what someone who is trans is. I'm scared. But I hate that I have to lie to my sister. I feel like keeping this from her is pushing her away.

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you don't think she has a good idea of what trans means, explain it to her. If she cares about you, she shouldn't tell your parents if you don't want her to.

3. treespoon

I agree with Gay CJ. Explain to her what these things mean, and gauge her reaction. Talk to her about it like it was brought up in class. Ask her what she would do if you were trans, and if it's positive and you feel good, come out! :slight_smile: