1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who to come out to first..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by redskins20, Mar 9, 2014.

1. redskins20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to come out, but I just don't know who to tell. I'm certainly not ready to open up to everyone I know, so I'm looking for one person who I trust. The problem is, I don't know who to tell. I do have good a friend (one of my best guy friends) who I'm sure would be accepting, and I've known for a long time, but I'm worried it would make our friendship awkward.

For y'all, how did you decide who to come out to first? Was it easier to come out to a friend or a family member (a sibling, for example)? Also, I'm worried if I do come out to my friend, we won't really be friends anymore. When you came out to one of your close friends, did you stay close?

I'm sure I'm just paranoid, and he'd probably be really accepting, but I just have that fear of a bad reaction.

Thanks for any advice:slight_smile:

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

I suggest coming out to a really close friend first instead of a family member. That's what I did. As soon as I came out to them, we stayed close. If anything it made us closer because I was 100% honest with them. If you're close with this friend of yours then that is a great place to start. If you are pretty sure he'll be accepting then go for it! Your friendship shouldn't be weird unless you two make it weird. If it gets to a weird point, you should probably just got to him and explain that nothing has changed. It's still you and you should probably assure him you don't like him like that. Sometimes friends think that's why you came out to them specifically.

3. rjyounger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think the close friend is a good bet. I came out first to one of my best friends and our friendship has stayed strong, there was virtually no change except that I could be more truthful to him. And generally I think it's much much easier coming out to a friend than it is to a family member.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to friends at school first. I didn't lose any of their friendships because of it. A few of my friends even seem to find it interesting for some reason. Also, one of my friends told me she was bi when I came out to her, and asked me for advice on coming out. ^^

5. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first person I came out to was a girl when I was still in the "confused as hell" stage. I knew she'd done some things in the past and had been in a similar situation, and I hoped she'd be able to help me out. She didn't have much advice, but just telling her helped unbelievably.

If you're worried about how a guy would react, tell a girl first. If you have a female friend, just talk to her and tell her that you're gay. The first people I told were girls, with the exception of one guy who needed to shut his mouth. So far none of the people I've told have acted any different around me, save for the occasional inside joke. (Granted, most of them are girls. I'm only really out to one guy; I'm not sure if the others have picked up on the hints yet.) I wouldn't worry about losing a friend over it. If you know he'd be accepting of it, I don't think he'll feel weird unless you start acting differently towards him.

6. newfish

I first came out to a friend. This was for a few reasons. For one, I knew she would be accepting. My sister would be too, but my parents, especially my dad, don't really understand LGBT matters. I knew there wouldn't be as strong a fear as if I came out to a sister. I didn't want to come out to a guy because I didn't want it to be awkward. Also because I am really close friends with approximately 0 guys at my school. I also agree that, as long as you are comfortable with your friend who is a guy and you know he'd be fine with it, then that would work too. Just go with whatever seems the mosty comfortable.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first person I came out to was my gay friend. He was, obviously, very supportive, and he gave me a lot of good advice on coming out to other people. If you have any LGBT friends IRL, they can be really good to start with.

8. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out first to a close straight guy cousin (who was up to be an ordained priest) and my closest, mature-minded nephew. I followed it up slowly on facebook and twitter to my friends (carefully selecting a friend list). Parents normally know it first or last depending on how careful you tread :grin:

9. GoldenSnitch

I came out first to a bisexual friend (and had a panic attack over it, but that's another story and because I have panic disorder :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Anyways, he was really supportive (as I'd assumed). It took a while after that but then I finally came out to my best friend, and since then have come out to my four other best friends. My plan is to tell my parents and sister next (and maybe some other friends if the time is right), before announcing it to the world :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

So...yeah. Come out to whoever you feel most comfortable with and who you think will give you the most support. Because that moral boost makes it a lot easier for subsequent "come outs".

10. ChameleonSoul

The first person (and only) person that I came out to was my best friend. They were completely fine with it and I got stressed out over nothing. Usually the first person that someone will tell is their friend, but you should come out to anyone that you trust to keep a secret and are close to. Odds are that your friend will still be your friend and that not much will change. As GoldenSnitch said, that first boost that you get really does make you feel confident in coming out to others in the future. Just don't be surprised if the person asks a lot of questions. Some of them will probably be awkward. Just remember, you've had a lot of time to think this through, they are just coming to this realization.

11. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    I got the best reaction from my friend when I came out to him. I saw a great opportunity and took it, and he was playing pokemon Y and he had trouble with the water elite 4. I brought up the Digit Ratio Theory and showed him my hands, and he says "Ok. Now what were you saying about will-o-wisping the Gyaridos with Delphox?". He just doesn't care. And then when I told him I was biromantic, he says "Umm... What? OH YES! I JUST GOT ZYGARDE FIRST TRY!"

12. IsThisAName

I first came out to a pretty close friend and me telling him made us much closer. I can be open with him now and talk about girls and it's just whatever. Every situation is different but I think generally if your friendship is close enough already, you telling them only strengthens the relationship. When I came out to my friend, I told him that he was the first person I had told and he said he felt honored that I trusted him that much. So yeah, I think it can make you closer and should go well!