1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finishing up

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theMaverick, Mar 9, 2014.

1. theMaverick

So my coming out process has been interesting. I've come out, gone back in, out and in, and finally out. I feel like I'm living as close to an "out" bisexual life as a man can, except that I'm out to the world, but not those close to me. My girlfriend knows I'm bisexual and is completely 1,000% supportive. Recently, my sister came out as gay, so that's also interesting. I feel like I walk a fine line, because while all of my closest friends know that I'm bisexual, I'm a member of a Christian group on campus and only 2 of those people know and honestly, I don't want the rest of them to know. I've come to terms with being bisexual, I don't hide from it any longer. It is part of who I am. Most of my family doesn't know either, but seeing my sister come screaming out of the closet like it was on fire, combined with the recent death of my grandfather has motivated me to act. I want to live a life that is true to who I am. I don't want to hide, or lie, or be someone I'm not. I want to be completely out, but I don't really know how to proceed from this point. At a solid 4 years of dealing with this, coming to terms with it and all, I'm ready to put it to bed, so to speak. I want to be done.

2. theMaverick

I guess my question here is what should I do and how should I go about it?

3. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    At the Christian Camp, do what your signature says and tread lightly. Many Christians are OK with LGBT+ stuff, but it is a touchy subject with religious groups.

4. treespoon

I admire your drive to be out!
    The coming out process differs for every person, and ultimately, it's what your comfortable with. Try and test the waters with your church group and see what their standpoint is. However, if you don't want them to know, they don't have to. It's YOUR comfort zone.
    For your family, it differs. You could start with your sister, and I'm sure she'll be supportive and a great person to talk with. You could get her to tell them for you, write a letter/email, or just do it in person. Most people will need a period of time to themselves to process things, so it's usually best done before you'll go away for a weekend or not see them quite as much.
    Some people prefer letters or emails, and that doesn't make them any less brave. It's what your comfortable with and how you best express yourself.
    Good luck!

5. theMaverick

Thanks for the advice!