1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure how to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Witchbracelet, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Witchbracelet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I've known my whole life that I was gay, but I was so deep in denial I only came out to myself recently if that makes any sense. I've been doing some thinking the past week and I'm coming to realize that I'm not open about my sexuality, I'm not fluid or bi, I'm a lesbian. This is really hard for me to accept and it makes me feel bad because I've always been really lgbtq accepting and I even have several friends and an uncle that are gay. I'm not sure if I'm ready to come out yet since the idea is still sinking in for me. But my question is how do I even begin to come out? I don't want to write a letter because it will make me even more nervous, but I just can't think of a time that is good for it. Like 'hey do you want to get some lunch, by the way I'm gay' 'no really.' I just don't know. But I want to come out because not having anyone to talk to really sucks:bang:

2. Clay

I went to lunch with a close friend of mine and told her then. I made a situation where it was just the 2 of us.

Basically a good way to do it would be to make a situation like that. Ask your parents if you could talk to them, find a situation where you're alone with a friend. I found that doing it in "steps" helped, like not just saying "I'm gay" but saying "I need to tell you something" first. That forces you, in a way, to come out, because after you say that they might be able to guess what you're going to say next, so you can't back out of it.

3. rjyounger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My situation was incredibly similar to yours, sometimes it takes years to even admit it to yourself. The fact that you have some gay friends already helps a lot, they'll likely be really supportive when you're ready to say it. The first person I came out to was a close gay friend and I was so nervous I had to just send him a message online, but it worked, it was out there, and he has helped me so much since then. Maybe you could think of one person who you know would be supportive and just get accustomed to the idea that you might tell them. There's no rush though, just let the idea sink in.
    And you already took a huge step admiting it to yourself and to people online, so congrats on that, I think in many ways that's one of the hugest hurdles to overcome.