1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to tell my best friend but he already knows.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sbooski, Mar 10, 2014.

1. sbooski

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I haven't come out to anyone yet, but I would like to finally tell my best friend that I'm a lesbian. I know he already knows as he often drops hints that he can tell. The problem is I just can't bring myself to say it to him. I probably to to say it everyday. I have already accepted it to myself, I just don't know how to bring it up. It just feels strange since he already knows. Like saying, "Hey, I have brown eyes." I have never said I have brown eyes, but he knows I have brown eyes. Any suggestions?

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just bring it up casually. It isn't weird to say "Well, I do have brown eyes" in a conversation, so maybe something similar for the friend.

3. IsThisAName

If you really think you can't say it to him in person, you can always text it to him. Like, "hey, you know you always say that I'm gay?" "Yes." "Well you're right, I am." If you think he won't be shocked then it wouldn't be as big of a deal and it could take the stress off of you. Coming out over text is easier for me. Good luck! <3

4. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I find that it sometimes helps to write about what you want to say for a bit to get comfortable with the idea and work through just how you want to go about it. Even reading from what you have written can help with the anxiety for some people. Also, being in a comfortable and relaxed spot can help center you and allow you to be more open.

5. Gambit

Well, if it's hard for you to tell him in person, writing what you want to tell him and texting/emailing it to him could help. I was in a similar situation once. I once came out to one of my best friends after having one too many beers. We never talked about it afterwards, we just pretended it never happened. It took me a year an a half to get the courage to re-come out to him. I wrote him an email, and saved it as a draft. One day, I just decided to click "send" and be done with it. Although he already knew, he was glad that I was finally at a place were I was happy with whom I'm and comfortable enough to tell him. I came out to another friend the same way. Their positive responses gave me courage to come out to my roommate in person, without having to send her an email.

Good luck!