1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ah ah online relationships? Help :S

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andrew, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Andrew

Okay, Well.

There is like 3 guys that always im me saying they love me. I don't believe it. Its bothering me, because all they say is " I love you, I love you. " And talk about how cute I am and stuff? My goodness, I am ugly and I can't stand it. >_< I don't know why. But this kid just said he likes me. And I really think he's cute and I like him. But I just don't feel right going out with him, because its online. I have never believed with online relationships.. Because people act totally different online. I dont know what to do.

Help =/

-Luis

2. Sam

Sam

Well first of all I'm sure you aren't ugly. Second online relationships have bad idea written all over them. You can't trust what people tell you over a computer. People can be very untrustworthy. I wouldn't start a relationship online if I were you, I would try to find somebody who you can actually see and talk to in person not words and pics on a computer screen.

3. Andrew

Yeah I am not.. I totally agree with you on that. (second part) anyways.

-Luis

4. Sam

Sam

I'm sorry you feel unattractive but trust me there is someone out there for you.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't agree (that they have bad idea written all over them). LOTS of people these days start out meeting people online. Of course you can't trust everything anyone tells you over a computer but similarly you can't trust everything anyone tells you in person, either... people seem to have come to believe that somehow online communications have made more people into liars, whereas I'm pretty sure it's just made lying a lot easier for those who are prone to lie anyway.

It's like "online predators." The Internet didn't create predation--it just made it a lot easier. And while sure there are online predators, they represent a pretty tiny poriton of the total people around online, just like in the world right outside your door... you'd think from listening to some people that online is just this massive minefield of danger, what with liars and pedophiles and crooks and thieves EVERYWHERE and honestly, if you just exercise some common sense (which I realise is not anywhere near as common as it should be, but I digress) and hone your instincts, you can get by really quite well.

I have met many people in person who I first met online (generally not for a relationship, granted) and most of them have been really awesome people. If I subscribed to the notion that 99.9% of people online lie, which I think is the impression you're giving, I would never have met some really amazing people. (That includes 2 people I met from EC.)

As for online relationships, while people can definitely lie during them, people get lied to ALL THE TIME in conventional relationships, but most people's default "in the real world" is to trust people until they prove they're guilty. I'm not sure why people seem to insist that people are guilty until proven innocent online.

On top of that, if you're only going to have an online relationship (i.e. you're not really likely to meet up), the potential for harm from any lying is pretty sharply reduced. If someone lies on the Internet and no one is there to catch them in that lie, has anyone really gotten hurt? I would suggest in most cases, no, there's not any damage.

That being said, I would personally vastly prefer an in-person relationship because most of the things I want out of a relationship have to do with physical presence (touch, sex, cuddling, hanging out).

At the same time, going out with someone online seems very low-risk to me, so I could see how it would appeal to some people.

6. newkidintown

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Andrew,

stop saying you are ugly. You are so cute :slight_smile:

7. Leifa

My experiences online for actual relationships have been pretty decent. Was in one for a year, and we're still friends after like a 7 month period of not talking (I needed time away).

Honestly it depends on the people your with. Some people can make it a TERRIBLE experience, others can make it a good one! It's really tough either way though, long distance relationships are hard as hell.