1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HeartAssassin00, Mar 10, 2014.

1. HeartAssassin00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been thinking how to come out this young. Tell my family, friends or just leak out myself in purpose. Leaking it out would be much easier but so much people would know the same time. My mum may be accepting, my dad would be a little shocked, maybe asking questions but he's a little homophobic and my brother is extremely homophobic and kinda violent so he's not someone I could come out to. My dad is a little homophobic but my mum is accepting and open-minded. My best friends are open-minded, accepting(especially my best friend) and barely knows what being gay means so I could start with them. I have a crush on my best friend but don't know if he's gay or not. But back to topic, who should I start with? Or should I act "gayer" or something? I need help! Leaking it would be the easiest way because if someone asks me, I can tell the truth with reduced pressure. But what do you guys think?

2. Nederhorst

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It seems to me like a good way to do it would telling your friends first (so you get used to it) and then family. Do it by smaller steps. I know it can be hard to tell someone you're gay, but after you come out to your first one, it gets easier.
    I think leaking it wouldn't be good because you would have to deal with lots of reactions at the same time, you would be overloaded.
    By telling your best friend, you could get his opinion on many LGBT topics to get a clue whether he is gay or not. He may even come out to you. I wouldn't tell him directly that I liked him, I would wait until I'm more sure of his sexuality.
    You don't need to act gayer, just be yourself. Why force a personality that isn't yours? (unless you've been hiding it)

3. MessieM

In my opinion if you do it seriously, then they are more likely to take it really seriously. And if you do it in a light- hearted way then most likely they will take it in a light- hearted way. It really depends on the personalities of your friends and family, and what type of reaction you are looking for.

For one of my friends, I made a cake and wrote " SUPRISE I'M BISEXUAL" on it with icing... and hid it in a box in her bag. It was hilarious when she phoned me up!!

I've been coming out one at a time to people... I think leaking it all at once is going to be too stressful. You should tell all your closest mates and relations first, and then feel free to shout it from the rooftops! Otherwise, they might hear it from someone else and not take it too kindly.

About your brother... maybe come out to your parents first, and then explain it to him one day in the right conditions with the help of your mum and dad. if you know that both your parents are fine with it, then they will be extremely supportive if your brother gets angry.

4. HeartAssassin00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I came out to my best friend and he was okay with it. Actually he liked it because I trusted him. He's a good friend. My mum may know(She acted a bit weird today). But I don't know. I hope my mom has a good reaction if she knows it. But its weird that I told him so easily, I thought it would be harder.