1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know when its a good time to come out? Think I'm ready?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RGX Guy, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

Sometimes people think I'm gay.
    If I had to give a percentage I'd say 50% would guess I'm gay and 50% would say I'm straight.

The only problem with people thinking I'm gay is that its hard for me to find a girl and since girls think I'm gay and I can't find a guy cause people only "think" I'm gay but no one knows so a gay or bi guy wouldn't really bat an eye lash either.

So basically I'm stuck in a rut with its perks and cons.

So I'm thinking I should just say "look I'm bi" so people will not only know the real me but girls that would still date a bi guy would know that I'm available and guys that want to date would also know to give me a ring. And also just to get it off of my chest hopefully I would be able to breathe easy.

I'm just a little worried about the taunting and losing friends because I care about all of my friends a lot and it would suck to lose them ya know? Some of them think bi or gay people are nasty.

Maybe I could shed some light on it for them.

It just feels kind of like the right timing but at the same time it feels odd I hate the fact that I don't know how things will blow over.

What do you think?

I am scared out of my witz as to how it'll turn out. :[

Whatcha think? Should I tell my juicy secret or wait?
    How did you guys know you were ready?

Oops. I didn't even realize I alread posted something similar to this one.

My bad. lol. I would still appreciate help. =]

#1 RGX Guy, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  2. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This sounds alot like me just before I met my girlfriend... Really, you need to look inside yourself and see if you are ready. Sure some people might try to distance themselves, but if your friends are true friends, they should stick by your side. When I came out to my friend, he was a little nervous, but I stressed I had no feelings for him, and that akwardness went away. I would suggest that if you are going to come out, start with family or trusted friends. Remember, do what you feel comfortable with, that is the key.
    -Jon

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew that it was the right time for me to come out when the thought of being out didn't terrify me. You're really the only one who can make that decision, but we at EC will be behind you every step of the way, no matter what you decide.

4. yeah I had the same prolem, for ages people thought i was a lesbian (I don't know why...) and so I told my close friends I was bi, and not only did I find that one or two of them were bi too, but I found that generally people where accepting of whatever people are so it turned out quite well in the end!

Try telling your close friends first and see what happens?

good luck!

~photosaurusrex

5. Cool Beans

I knew I was ready to come out a little bit when I couldn't stand the thought of nobody knowing the truth about me. If you feel comfortable coming out, test the waters by coming out to a close friend or family member, as others have said. Then just take it from there. But you have to do it in your own time, when you're ready; don't do it if you're not. Good luck!

6. -Michael-

I knew when i stoppped thinking when....and started thinking how :slight_smile:

Now im happier than ever :slight_smile:

7. Trumpetplyer23

Before I came out, I had a similar problem. I had guys that liked me and wanted to date me, and I liked them so I dated them. The gay/bi girls thought 'oh, she's straight, damn'. So, I decided I should come out to level the playing field.

I also decided (because some people where I live are pretty homophobic) 'screw them, if they have a problem with me, too bad.'

I started with my close friends and through a blunder, was out to the whole school. Now, I can honestly say I'm all the way out.

But, as for when to come out, that's up to you. You have to make that decision, are you ready to face people with that information? If the answer is yes, than good for you.

Don't come out because you think you have to, come out because you want to.

Good luck :grin:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once you feel comfortable enough about yourself, you'll find it a lot easier to come out. I'm not sure if you're there yet - that's for you to decide. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Sam

Sam

You'll know when you are ready. It's just something you feel inside you. I know that when you come out you will still feel worried and scared about it but you'll also feel comfortable and you'll feel like it's time. Like I said you'll know when the time is right.
    Good luck!

Sam

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew when I was like, "I don't want to lie anymore".

Now all my close friends know, and also my mum. :slight_smile: Still working on everyone else though.

Good luck if you do or don't. :slight_smile:

11. Blaz

Blaz Guest

As for me, no one knows, and only one person has questioned me, but he was gay himself.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As mentioned above, you will know when you are ready. It is different for every person as to when they feel they are ready. Take your time. There is no rush. When I decided to come out to my friend, I just knew that I was ready. In part some of my worries as to what he might think went away and were replaced by the feeling of it is time to stop the hiding. But I took my time with it.

You will know when you are ready.

13. MeskElil

Coming out is always a risky business. You said you were nervous about people's reactions. Honestly, that's the risk you have to take. Some people will accept you...others will not. But you will find that many people are really open-minded about stuff, and even if they don't agree with your sexual orientation, they don't denounce your friendship.
    Ultimately, it's up to you (as said above.) But you get to decided who you tell and who you don't tell. But it probably won't be so hard for people to accept it, because apparently half of the people think you're gay anyway. Don't worry about it, take it slowly, one step at a time, and come out to who you want to, whenever you want to. And we're all here to cheer you on and here your success stories!