1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a friend that might already know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WearyWanderer, Mar 11, 2014.

1. WearyWanderer

So last night I was texting a friend who I'm really close with, let's call him R. He's currently in a relationship with my other close friend, who's a girl, let's call her M, and she is the only non-family member that I've told so far. She's been really supportive, and I am so lucky to have both of these people in my lives.

So anyway, texting. M is away on a vacation and can only contact R through Skype very briefly. R said that it really tore him up to be away from her, and that he really loves her. He said he'd go to the end of the world for her. I told him that they have something very special, which they do. (they are such a cute couple! <3) Then he said something like he knew that I would find someone in the next few years that was special to me too.

Now, I sincerely doubt this (although I would love it if it were true..). I do not plan on coming fully out AT ALL until college, although I still want to tell some of my close friends. But still being closeted will definitely complicate things. I didn't go into detail, because honestly I'm still trying to find the right moment to tell him, and he said something like "I just know there is a person right for you somewhere. Love has a way of finding people."

Now, notice he did not say "girl." In fact, as we continued the conversation, he did not specify a gender once. Even when he asked if my type was "Cute? Rugged on the edges?", he did not say a cute girl or whatever. This makes me highly suspect that he already knows.

I've been hinting for a long time that I might be gay around him, and M might have told him that I was (which I would be fine with, I know she has a good judgement). However, I'm still not sure...what if it was just a coincidence? I doubt it was, but it might have been.

So, how do I approach this? Should I just ask him if he knows I'm gay or not? I'm going to be meeting up with him on Sunday...would that be a good time to ask him? Face to face? How should I proceed?

2. Seems to me like you want him to know, why not just come out to him? He sounds like a good friend to you so I'm sure everything will turn out alright. On another note are you comfortable with him knowing?

3. WearyWanderer

Yes, I do want to tell him. I'd like him to know. But if he already knows, then should I just assume he doesn't know? Or that he does? I'm not sure what to do about that.

4. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well Doctor, you should come out as if he doesn't know, if he does it would be awkward. It isn't really that awkward if the person does know and you act like they didn't, but it is if you do the opposite.

5. Chances are he doesn't know, I'd just tell him straight out. :slight_smile: I learned to never assume anything.

6. Projectfabulous

I agree with justin25. He probably doesn't know and you may just be reading too deep into what he says. Or maybe he does know and is showing that he is supportive. Regardless, I say just tell him. I've come out to people who already knew about me somehow(mostly by stereotyping but whatever) and they said " Don't get mad, but I thought so/I know." And if he says something like that, you can tell him that you thought he knew and bam a good conversation starter. Good luck!! I hope i helped somewhat. :slight_smile:

7. WearyWanderer

Well, I did what you guys suggested, and from what he said it looked like he didn't know. At the very least, he guessed it, but I think I was reading too much into it. :rolle: But anyway, took it extremely well. :icon_bigg I am so lucky to have a friend like him. He made my day right there.

8. Awesome! I'm so happy for you!

9. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad it worked out!