1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by newfish, Mar 11, 2014.

1. newfish

So, I'm in the position of wanting to come out the rest of the way, but still having some fear for coming out the rest of the way. I've come out to my sister, I'm going to try to come out to 2 more close friends tomorrow, and then it's just going to be anyone that asks/looks... except my parents. I probably won't come out to my dad for a WHILE, or I'll just let my mom tell him. But I do want to be able to just move on and, if I want to, date. However, I know coming out to my mom in person would be just plain awkward, probably made worse by the fact that she asked me when I was about 12. I think I thought I was bi (wrong), but I certainly hadn't worked it all out before I was even a teenager. I know she'll okay with it, but she also doesn't really understand LGBT anything completely. So I've been thinking I'll write it down. The issue is, I wouldn't want to just deliver it, and my dad is stay-at-home, so I'm afraid if I just leave it somewhere he would pick it up and read it. I'm also wondering if just saying something down the road along the lines of "I asked a guy out" or, in response to "Any girls you have your eye on?" (a quote from the weekend),
    "No, but I like a guy." Which do you think would be less awkward. Also, my dad could be there next time she asks. I just really don't want to come out with him there because he really doesn't understand. He once told me that he's okay with gay marriage, etc., but there have been a lot of gay people on TV recently, and he feels bad for the guys especially because the love of a woman is so great. I'm not quite sure what he thinks gay relationships are. Maybe just guys going "Oh, hey bro, you're great man," or something.

2. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe saying that you have your eye on someone... Chances are she will ask what her name is and then you could say something like "His name is ___."

3. earthlvr510

I didn't tell my dad until a month after telling my mom and trust me it sucked. I came out to my mom (as a lesbian before I knew I was trans) and she was fine with it but basically guilted me into telling my dad because she hated lying to him. He ended up being fine with it too. I didn't think he would understand even though he seemed totally supportive of lgbt people like you said about yours. Even though it may seem way easier to just tell your mom it will make it even harder if not impossible to keep it from your dad unless she's willing to keep your secret. Plus you will just have to keep hiding the people you date from him. I know it seems freakin terrifying, but from experience I would suggest telling them together. Best of luck man. :slight_smile:

4. newfish

Ok... I think I'll take the advice from both and mix it together. Like bring up someone's name, but with both parents there. I'm scared about it, but I didn't finish coming out to friends today (thanks to leaving earlier because of NH snow), so I have more time anyway.