1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on coming out to my friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BonhomousA, Mar 12, 2014.

1. BonhomousA

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there. So there is a male friend who I have had a crush on for about 2 months now and I have already talked about him on here a bit in the past. Anyway for quite some time I have been meaning to come out as bi to him. I want to so it helps me become more confident in the future and so he knows that there is a chance that I may like him.

One of the problems with coming out to him is that I am worried about how things will turn out since we had never before really spoken about such a personal thing, until today that is. He told me about something and trusted me to keep it a secret. Knowing he trusts me gives me a bit of confidence so tonight I have been thinking I will try to come out tomorrow. The problem is that whenever I believe I will finally come out, I become too nervous when I finally have the chance.

I am certain he will have no problem with it so how could I finally do this? Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

2. Kael

Hey there, fellow Australian!

Well... I have been in this situation before. Brings back many memories.

Anyways... The best thing to do, is just be straightforward about it. Don't try and work around it or find extremely intricate ways to tell him. Sure, it sounds hard, but the easiest thing to do, is say "I'm Bisexual". Well... It's easy to say, not easy to do. XD

Obviously, he trusts you. So yes, that is a good thing to have. His trust.

The bottom line is; if he is your friend, he will stay your friend, no matter what. Just because you like both genders doesn't mean you change as a person. And he will understand that.

A way to go about it, is to bring up a LGBT related topic, and gauge his response from that. If he reacts in a positive way, say something like, "Well I'm Bi, by the way." Just make it nonchalant. Be confident. And don't make a big deal out of it. :slight_smile:

And I know it's nerve wracking... But you just gotta think clearly and stay calm.

What I did today, was come out to another person. The number is steadily growing for me. Which I'm happy about.

Just treat it like a general conversation that has an air of confidentiality to it. Just a general conversation only meant for you and your friend. XD

Anyways... I hope I wasn't a complete waste of time.

And I hope things go well for you!!

See ya!

Kael~

3. BonhomousA

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you and no you were not a waste of time. :slight_smile: I might try thinking of a topic to bring up. I have aleays thought that I would be more confident if it could just flow with the conversation so I may try thinking of some kind of topic.

4. BonhomousA

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did it. I finally came out to him. He was completely fine with it which is what I was hoping for. However when I explained to him how it is more likely for me to like a girl than a guy, he said that he wouldn't really know what he is like because he has never really thought about it. I guess that means there is a possibility sometime in the future and I know that I shouldn't rush into anything. :slight_smile: Next I am planning to come out to one more of my friends so that all my three best friends know.

5. UK_guy

Congratulations on coming out to him :slight_smile:

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! Well done :grin:
    Just keep being his friend and you'll see what happens later on.

PS: Aussie ftw!