1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Come Out to Sister in College?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pixelbro, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Pixelbro

My older sister is the person I originally wanted to tell first that I was gay. I've been trying to find a time to tell her for nearly a year but we're never alone together. It's definitely possible to tell her with my little sister around, but I think my older sister deserves a special one-on-one.

So how do you come out to a busy sibling in college?

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

You'll probably honestly have to call her and tell her you really need to talk to her face-to-face(try to avoid doing it over the phone if you can). Then, when she can see you just ask her if you two can go off and do something. When you're ready just look at her and tell her.

3. WearyWanderer

How far away is her college? Also, how often does she come home? I would suggest that, if she's coming home soon, you try to get alone with her then and tell her. If her college is really close, then call her and say you want to meet up with her, maybe for lunch or something. If it would be really inconvenient...have you considered trying it through Skype or something? Might be a bit impersonal, but it's better when you're able to see her face-to-face in a way. Just a possible suggestion.

4. Skov

I told my sister on the phone while I was doing laundry. I just had to get it out so I kinda just blurted it out. It got the job done although probably not in the best way.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just text her asking if you can Skype her because you have something really important to tell and tell her through Skype. Honestly, that's the best way that I can think of.

6. lordsnow

Whenever I do come out my sister will most likely be at a college hundreds of miles away so I can kinda relate to what your going though. I would just tell her that you have something you need to say and it can't wait, if she is out of driving distance then I agree with other reply's that Skype though impersonal is probably your best option, besides waiting until she comes home on break. Hope that helped

7. Pixelbro

Yeah, I should've mentioned that she is pretty close nearby. She stays at home some weekends, but I can never get a one-on-one. I don't want to tell her by Skype, it feels as ridiculous as breaking up with someone on text or something. It probably doesn't matter how I tell her, but I feel like she deserves a one-on-one.

8. WearyWanderer

Well, maybe while she's there on a weekend ask to maybe go out to lunch with her, or maybe something as simple as "hey, can you come over here for a second?" Try to get your parents out of the way and then do it. There must be some opportunity when they aren't keeping her all to themselves.

9. Pixelbro

I was thinking about this but my little sister tends to come along with us. Plus, when my older sister is home she just wants to stay at the house, and so does everyone else because we want to be with her while we can before she leaves.

God, I have so many excuses for this. Sorry. :icon_redf

10. WearyWanderer

That's okay! :slight_smile: Well, here's an idea: since your little sister knows, maybe you could talk with her about it? Coordinate with your little sister that you want to tell your bigger sister, and tell her that you want a one-on-one with her. Hey, maybe she'll be able to lead your parents away while you tell your older sister!

11. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    ^^^ Good idea, doctor!

12. Pixelbro

Lol, yeah good idea doctor. Yeah, I'll try that. Thanks for the ideas. (*hug*)