1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How and when should I come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jojman27453, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jojman27453

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I'm 13 and bisexual. I just came out to my girlfriend because I knew she would be okay with it. My family is okay with stuff like that but to protect them i haven't told them yet. I don't know how to come out to any of my friends because i live in a place where people like me aren't that excepted. I don't know how to come out or when. I knew my girlfriend would be find with it because she excepts everyone and it turns out that she was bisexual too. I just really need some advice.

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you choose to come out is all up to you. If you think you're comfortable coming out now, then go for it! If you think it would be better to wait a while, then you can do that too. It's all about when you feel comfortable enough to tell people. Some people come out in middle school, some people (like me) still aren't out in their junior year of high school. The best time to come out is when YOU want to.

As for how, that's also up to you. You could go with the whole "[person's name], I have something important to tell you. I'm bisexual," or you can write a letter, or if you want to really go all-out you can dye your hair rainbow for a week (a thing that actually happens). Me personally, I just wait until I want to tell someone and wait for/make an opening in a conversation where I can just slip that in there. An example would be "You know how 'A' said I made myself seem like a girl last week? That might be because I told her I have a crush on a guy." (Actual conversation with my friend "R".) There are a number of different ways to get the message out there. Something else I did that may or may not have been as subtle was change my Facebook banner to a painting of two male dogs (anthropomorphic; I'm a furry) holding hands. Not sure how many people actually got the message, but hey. Another option is pride jewelry. If you want to get the message out there without actually having to talk to anyone, you can just start wearing some pride jewelry, like a bracelet or pendant. That way you're still putting it out there, but people can choose how they want to interpret it.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

3. UK_guy

I would say that there are many ways of coming out of the closet like the above poster has said and also echo his thoughts on being when you feel comfortable with coming out to do it then whether that's now or a few years time as everyone is different.