1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to Come Out but People Aren't Understanding

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Firephyz, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Firephyz

I'm comfortable with my sexuality now and I have come out to quite a few people. Now, I just want to finish it off by coming out to mainly the band at my school. I don't really want to just start announcing it because I feel like that just isn't appropriate. As such, I have decided to wear a rainbow bracelet to school and only tell people I'm gay if they ask me. I've been doing it for like a week now and barely anybody has seemed to notice it. The two responses I got were people saying how cool it looked. On the outside, its very hard for people to tell that I'm gay so I wonder if they just think there is no possibility of me being gay. Maybe people just aren't that observant. Anybody out there have experience with coming out by wearing a rainbow bracelet?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I imagine a rainbow bracelet is doing the job just fine. A lot of people might not mention it, though. I mean, what would they say? "Are you gay?" That seems a little awkward. Most have probably noticed, but are minding their own business.

3. Firephyz

So I made this post a while ago but I was just seeing if I could get some new input. Didn't want to take up room and make a whole new thread. People still aren't getting the message that I'm gay despite the fact that I'm wearing a rainbow bracelet. My friend and I have this theory that while the rainbow is the universal symbol for LGBT's, it just doesn't register as such with straight people as easily it does with LGBT people. This is my bracelet:
    [​IMG]

I was talking to my mom about it today and she says it just doesn't look gay, literally like it doesn't look like the LGBT rainbows and such. I was wondering if the following would have more of an impact:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, thanks for the replys :slight_smile:

4. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

:icon_bigg I actually have rainbow suspenders with peace signs. Those work *really* well.

5. Audeamus

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your mom kind of has a point. The first one just looks like a cool bracelet to me. The second one is much more obvious. Then again, I'm a bit dense. People (in a group) are pretty self absorbed. You might need to use the more obvious one.

6. Firephyz

I think I'll be getting the more obvious one then. It's simple, cool looking and shows my pride :icon_bigg Lol, those suspenders sound awesome. I've got to get up to date on my rainbow attire.

7. IWontLetGo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear a rainbow wristband I got from an LGBT bookstore, also a silicone one for when I work out and sleep. I think its a decent way to show some pride, and I've never encountered any trouble for it. Had a nice conversation at a cafe about the band and where I got it, but that's it. The star burst rainbow loom band you are wearing above doesn't obviously look like a pride band, but if you like it than wear it. If anyone asks or mentions it, just say its a gay pride wristband. Otherwise, there are some good ones online that are more conspicuous if that's what you're looking for.

#7 IWontLetGo, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The second one is probably more obvious.

I wear a rainbow bracelet that looks similar to the first one, and the only people who've noticed are my friends and family.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm thinking of getting a rainbow key chain or bracelet

10. FinallyOut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would question why you're doing what you're doing. Why is it so important to you that EVERYONE knows you're gay? Not that you need to hide it, but for most people, it's none of their business. I'm Jewish but I don't wear a big Star of David on my back so that everyone knows. Only those on a "need-to-know" basis know I'm Jewish (i.e. friends, acquaintances, etc.) Same with knowing I'm gay. Your actions seem a bit "in your face."

11. Firephyz

Yeah, I've definately thought about that and like why we even need to come out to anybody. For me, I feel like there are two main reasons. Firstly, I'm proud of my sexuality, which I know sounds kinda stupid. But in an age when being gay or anything other than straight really still isn't fulling accepted, I feel like its important for people to know that there are normal people out there who just happen to be gay. Secondly, and this is the slightly more selfish reason, I wear it so that other people who are gay know that I am too.