1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling scared and unaccepted

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ema228, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My extremely religious mom and semi-homophobic brother are the only family that knows I am bisexual. Almost everyone else except my family knows about my sexuality. I am too afraid to come out to my family because I don't know how they will react or what their views on homosexuality is. My mom only knows because of an emotional argument that let to me telling her. Ever since then, I feel better that she knows, but sad because it's like she wants me to be different. I want to be able to talk to her about pretty girls or who I have a crush on but can't because it feels too awkward. She struggled with letting me take a girl to a school dance even though it was just as a friend. Should I tell her how I feel and ask her if it's okay to talk with her about girls? Or should I just try to keep the awkward levels low and avoid all talks of girls until I get a girlfriend?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should talk to her as early as you can about your feelings.

In my eyes, it would be best to discuss this stuff BEFORE you get a girlfriend. Explaining to your mom that a relationship with a girl is something that is GOING to happen will give her time to deal with the idea of it, instead of just dumping the actual situation on her all at once. If you do the latter, there's a greater chance that she'll really freak out on you, and that could affect your relationship.

Talking to her about it will also give you a better idea of how she feels about the situation, what her concerns are, and what, if possible, you can do to lessen the stress she feels about this.

You're right to be concerned about this - communication is not always the best, but for your situation I think it would be a great idea.

Just my two cents. Hope this offers some help. :slight_smile:

3. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for the advice! I will talk to her about it soon. Any advice on how to bring up the topic? I feel awkward and she obviously shows discomfort talking about my sexuality. Is there any way to make it less awkward or a certain way to start the conversation?

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm always in favour of writing things down. That way nobody can argue about it.

Alternatively, ask her as her daughter to listen to what you have to say. Say something to the effect of...

"Mum, I have something I want to talk to you about and I need you to listen to what I have to say. When I'm finished if you want to ask questions you can, but I need you to wait until I'm done? It's really important to me that you do this."

You may have to shut her up a few times if she's anything like my mum, but that's how I got my mum to listen to me!