1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out abruptly

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tarok, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Tarok

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey. I came out to my mother and sister 5 days ago (right on my birthday) and maybe I've been a bit... extremely sudden.
    We were leaving an Italian restaurant, and, in the car, we were having a conversation about babies. I hate children, and I said I wouldn't have kids, ever. My mother told me that sometimes it isn't planned, and I answered that I was pretty sure I couldn't have a kid accidentally because I'm gay. Just like that.

My mother took some time in processing that information. At first, she thought that I was joking, because she never thought about me being gay. My sister was excited. Very excited.
    Because I never tell anyone about personal things. Not even to my family.

They're both good with that now, but maybe I was a bit too sudden? I haven't come out to anyone else yet, but I will as soon as someone mentions anything related. However, it may affect their reaction. Also, my father might have a heart attack (but he's in Argentina, so obviously we don't talk too much)

So, what do you think? Should I be less abrupt about it? And how?

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

I don't think you were abrupt, but I don think the circumstances were right. I have always felt that you shouldn't come out in the middle of a fight, and that sounded pretty much like it was going on to be an argument. It's good that you were comfortable enough to say it though. If coming out abruptly is comfortable for you then do it that way. If you honestly don't want to come out like that again, then when you are about to tell someone say a few things to build the conversation up to it. Don't just blurt it out. Get there gradually.

3. AAASAS

It's always better sooner than later if you are going to get a positive reaction.

4. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as they both are fine with it, it really doesn't matter how you came out. It's already over. Besides,the same conversation could have played out in a much harsher manner, your lucky it went over pretty well.

#4 Ghost93, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you didn't do anything wrong to me, it was eveb relevant. Congrats!!! (!)
    Glad they're okay now, although in the future, saying it whilst driving might be potentially dangerous. :slight_smile: If you did, maybe it was still parked, some people do it while driving for better or for worse.