1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support for the uncertain

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shulbert441, Jul 17, 2008.

1. shulbert441

shulbert441 Guest

I've found that people I know are generally supportive of people who identify themselves as homosexuals. But what I hate most is when people tell me that "bisexuality doesn't exist" and that "it's okay either way, but you have to choose a side."

What ever happened to people who accept you for who you are? Why should it matter to them, really? I've found that a lot of gay guys I know are uninterested in me because I'm not 100% sure of my sexuality, but if I'm interested in them why should it matter? Similarly, when I'm interested in a girl, the usual response is, "but aren't you gay?"

I guess I just don't understand.

#1 shulbert441, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. TheSuburbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww, that's too bad. (*hug*) Bisexuality does exist though. And trust me, hun. I'd never respond like that ^^

3. Cool Beans

I think people are just used to everyone being interested in only one gender, gay or straight. People rarely get to truly see that there's a middle ground when it comes to sexual attraction. If someone sees you with a person of the opposite gender, they think you're straight, and if they see you with someone of the same gender, they think you're gay. Generally, I don't think people get much exposure to bisexuality because it's hard to expose it unless it's someone you know; then you can see the person having attractions to both genders over time. Of course, if you settle down with someone for life, you're picking a side, in the sense that you're (presumably) only going to be with one gender (one person, really) for the rest of your life. That doesn't preclude you from identifying as bisexual, but it makes it harder for others to accept/appreciate it.

This is pretty rambly, so I'll stop now. Anyway, I believe in bisexuality. It's perfectly valid.

4. Corny

Corny Guest

Bisexuality is a fact. Few people are 100% straight or gay. But it's as unlikely that someone is exactly 50% to 50%. Because of that many gay and lesbian people think that people who claim to be "truely bi" are just taking the "easy route". Some even might have been exploited by (for example) a guy who dated someone for sex, but still had a girlfriend at home. Living a facade for his family and friends, and seeking his pleasure elsewhere - and maybe really hurting some feelings on the way.
    It doesn't need to be like that, but I guess that if you experienced something like that you won't be singing praises on bisexuals. I never thought that this would happen *that* often, but from what I have heard, it happens more often than one might think.
    And last but not least there is this stupid "club-thinking" that we have in life so often. "He is not a member of 'our' club, so I'm not interested in him". And you can't have both cards, you have to be in either one. The world isn't divided in black and white, but most people act like that.
    I listed reasons why people act like that - but as you said. In the end it shouldn't and doesn't matter. Do what you think is good for you, and try not to hurt others on your way. Something that works for almost every aspect in life, if only everybody would respect that :slight_smile:

5. I know exactly where you're coming from. Nothing pisses me off more than to have people tell me my sexuality doesn't exist because it's like telling me I don't exist. Luckily around here not many people have a problem with bisexuals and don't make those types of remarks, but there are the occasional people who make snide comments like that. Those comments are one of the few things that I take to heart and it really really bothers me. And like its been said it really irritates me that people see this type of thing in black and white, when very often major issues like sexuality almost never are black and white. I know a girl who identified as lesbian and began dating a guy and people got mad at her. Like that pisses me off beyond recognition that people would get angry because someone can't like people regardless of gender. What ever happened to love and let love? Isn't that what the gay community is trying to make the hetero society see? Love is love regardless of gender? Sorry for the tirade but comments like that make me angry.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

7. shulbert441

shulbert441 Guest

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

hahaha I know that feeling so well

9. Paralyzer

omg, I totally forgot EC had a resource section :eek:
    There's a resource section and a news section.. wow, where have I been 0.0

You know what! EC should have a game section!
    Who here knows how to do flash?

Haha, sorry for going off topic, you guys look like you're pretty frustrated with the mass ignorance surrounding bisexuality. I'm sorry :[
    I'm gonna be honest and maybe even a little hated for saying this but although I do believe in bisexuality, I find it a turn off.. idk why

ANYHOW
    When I think of EC, I think "forum" but now that I see there are tabs, I think there should be a game section :grin: But that would throw off the color scheme.. because there are six tabs.
    I doubt we'll add a game section since EC is a GLBT resource safe spot so since there are six tabs, why not color them rainbow!? :grin: SUGGESTION ADDED.. to the wrong thread..

Sorry again... but Paul's post like... inspired all of that ^
    (no offense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

(*hug*) to the offended

EDIT: But please don't get offended about the bi thing, I mean, I believe I'm not 100 percent gay because I happen to find girls attractive and I want to get in a relationships with them sometimes... and I am straight for Pamela Anderson, RHIANNA.. omg.. she's amazing, and Dolly Parten.. but I don't know how to spell her name :grin:
    And though it's a turn off, it's not that big a problem if I like the person a lot

#9 Paralyzer, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  10. Alexander

Yeah... It's annoying when people are like "bi is not real"... Personally I think it's hot when guys are bi. :grin:

I dunno. People don't comprehend that there is more than black and white, even though they experience their own grey experiences all the time... It's silly. :|

11. Sam

Sam

Bisexuality is real. I don't know why so many people think its not. I wouldn't worry about what people think if someone says to you that bisexuality isn't real then why would you want to hang out with them anyway? Some people are just frustrating.

12. Not so much frustrated as really pissed off. But either way it irks me greatly.